Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health Capacity Dropped

Okay, this could probably means nothing to everybody but I recently discovered this. I purchased the iPhone 11 Pro Max on the preorder day and got it on the launch day. So the battery health was at 100% but as of today, it dropped ONE percent. I tried to figure out why and what did I do wrong. so what I did was when I fully charged the phone, I unplug. I let it drains down to 20%. Prior to doing to maximize the performance, I had no clues how to get the best out of my battery life. The Apple tech support explained that I should have let the battery get down to 20% with however usage I use: normal or heavy. Once it gets to 20%, I recharge it. I even checked the optimized battery charging to ON. So, I have no idea why it dropped 1 percent to 99 now... I mean, this is a two months old iPhone and I never had this issue with iPhone 7 Plus, I remembered the battery health was at 98% after ONE year. I mean, already in two months, it dropped 1 percent.

Can anyone help me to understand what and why this happened?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 2:38 AM

Am using 11 pro max, 55 days old and using charger which comes along with mobile. I have been charging my mobile once in 2 days.

Now my battery health is 96%. Apple should work on this why this is happening to everyone's mobile after the latest patch update.

1,151 replies

Nov 18, 2019 2:26 AM in response to Profaniter13

in fact after this issue, I have sent my phone to the service center they say it's a user functional issue. Battery change will be chargeable even it's just 1 month old & under warranty. thats crazy!!!

they say there is no problem in the battery

it was with them for 8 days & now they have sent back stating that it's ok.

mine dropped 1 % in 30 days & 2% on 38th day.

it's on 98% now

phone i will get it today from them, lets see how much further it must have dropped.

Dec 10, 2019 6:51 PM in response to progbonvil

Hello friends, i've posted a comment before in this thread and has been following all the new comments written here. Those users telling others to reset their iphone to restore that 1 or 2% battery health loss, please STOP.

Please let me elaborate more about Li-ion batteries. These batteries will decay/degrade over time. It is a scientific process that is inevitable and unavoidable. Your smartphone battery WILL degrade, it just depends on how fast or slow. An industrial grade battery tester that can accurately calculate the capacity of a li-ion batt is bigger than your iPhone itself, so yes, the accuracy for the battery measurement in our iPhone is very limited.

Your li-ion battery starts decaying the very moment you hit your 1st full charge cycle, albeit insignificant. So over the course of 1 or 2 month, it is NORMAL to lose 1 or 2%. For day to day typical consumers like most of the users here, there is NO WAY to reverse this decaying process as it is a scientifically normal process for li-ion battery. So no, your 'restore iPhone to get back to 100%' method will not work, because what's gone is gone.

Some info about wireless & fast charging below.

There are too many sources for me to cite, but these are the general ideas about li-ion batteries.

Higher temperature will cause li-ion batteries to degrade even faster, so yes wireless charging hurts the battery, albeit slowly and gently.

Charging with the new 18W charger is generally safe. 0 - 50% - super fast

50-80% - normal

80-95% - slow

95-100% - super slow

This adaptive charging helps prolong the life of your battery as it's not constantly pushing high wattage into your battery.

Obviously, the slower your charging, the better is it for your battery. But is it worth it to wait up to 4 hours (or possibly more) using the 5W charger to hit 100% for your iPhone 11 Pro Max, or a good 2 hours using the 18W charger, your call.

Another tip: the recommended power input for fast charging on iPhone is 18W. If you're gonna purchase a 3rd party charger, do not buy anything above 18W.

Anything below that like 5W, 10W, 12W etc chargers are fine. I've used a charger higher than 18W, and it's super fast. But it was what costed me 2% battery health. It's been a month since i switched back to the Apple 18W charging and there hasn't been any percentage drop.

Nov 20, 2019 12:36 AM in response to Profaniter13

Phone batteries are mostly Li-ion, and they age over time - we have to establish this 1st so everyone will understand that these battery, regardless of how hard you try to preserve, will definitely age.

As 1 of the tech youtuber said, Apple claims that your battery will be left with roughly 80% capacity after roughly 500 charge cycle.

• Simply put it, Apple claims: 20% loss for 500 cycle.
  • Assume we everyone of us charges about 50cycles in 60 days (2months).
  • That's a rough 2% loss for 2 months of usage.

After reading some of the comments here, it seems like most people are facing 1% loss after 1 month. Including myself, 1% loss at 5 weeks of using iPhone 11 Pro max. I'm not a ultra geek tech person, but my numbers and assumptions are gathered from seemingly reliable sources, and it seems that such a minor drop is not an issue. Unless you're losing 4% for 4 weeks of usage, now that's terrible.

Aug 28, 2021 12:46 PM in response to -PinkTree

Your information is partially incorrect.

There aren't fans in iPhones, so it's unclear how you think the phone would be using power to keep the battery cool when charging wirelessly.

Wireless charging does not age the battery in any way a wired charger would not.

The advice to not drain your phone to 20% is accurate, but there's no need to just charge it to 80%; Optimized Battery Charging will handle that for you.

Nov 12, 2019 5:35 AM in response to Profaniter13

I also got my iPhone 11pro on the day of launch and am too experiencing a very worrying Battery Health decline. Checking the Battery Health in the settings of the iPhone, it currently displays a maximum capacity of 97%.

If I do check the battery using the tool CoconutBattery, however, it shows me a health of 94.6% and this after only 50 (!) cycles of loading the battery.

I usually charge the iPhone once a day and the option "optimized charging" (in German: Optimiertes Laden der Batterie) is activated.

What is happening?

Dec 10, 2019 11:06 PM in response to chathuranga129

chathuranga129 wrote:
My 11 pro is two months old. My battery health is suddenly at 98%!
2% for 2 months? Man that is ********! Reading all these similar cases I can see there’s clearly something wrong with it. Why can’t you Apple? Admit it and do something about it quickly!

That's actually rather normal. I keep on repeating this, but if one assumes Apple's rating for 500 cycles to 80% is linear, that would result in a 1% loss of battery health every 25 complete charge-discharge cycles. Down to 98% is easy to achieve in 2 months.

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support
A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.

That being said, I seem to have an iPhone 7 battery that seemingly wants to live forever. At over 180 cycles it's still reporting 99% Battery Health. Even with "live" battery tools are reporting 98-99.1% battery capacity compared to new. I'm waiting for reality to set in, such as dropping to 94% overnight.

Dec 23, 2019 10:16 PM in response to khaye26

khaye26 wrote:
i have an iPhone 11, and it’s gonna be two months this coming January 6. It already dropped to 98% even though i’m taking good care of it. I refrain from overcharging and stuff like that, but still 98% within a month and a half?!

Apple doesn't make any guarantees, but the design specs that Apple touts are 80% and 500 cycles. After a month and a half? I could see that reasonably happening.

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support
A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers battery service for a charge.

It's also subject to rounding errors and normal new capacity variations. Also - unless there's a glitch, it's impossible to overcharge an iPhone.

Jan 20, 2020 1:15 PM in response to Sallu09

Sallu09 wrote:

Hi,

Im puzzled to with what is going lol. My battery health dropped to 99% last week 3 months and within 5 days down to 98%. I never let my iPhone 11 Pro go down below 30-50% charge.
But its a totally different story when i checked the status in Coconut App.
Dont know whats going on.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7e85cb12-a5db-40ad-b7b3-d650c32d3308

Perfectly normal. 98% seems fine for 69 cycles. And in coconutBattery the design capacity percentage can go up and down, similar to how Mac battery capacity will go up and down.

Battery Health Capacity Dropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.