Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages to EPUB conversion issue

There is a little image (the letters OBJ inside a dashed box) against the photos in my Mobi Ebook when viewed using the Kindle app on iOS devices but not MacOS machines. I've yet to test a PC environment.

The conversion was from Pages to EPUB then from EPUB to Mobi using Zamzar. I've also been advised that the EPUB viewed on an old Sony reader shows a little box with a cross in it against the photos.

I've seen a previous reference to this OBJ image problem (Dec 2016) but that fix, provided in Pages, is not suitable for reflowable text. That fix was: In Format Sidebar, click on Arrange and under 'Object Placement' select "Stay on page". Reflowable text needs the "Move with text" option. My Mobi (and EPUB) Ebooks would look more professional without that little image. Can anyone help? Thanks.

iMac 21.5", 10.14

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 11:45 AM

Thank you, very helpful advice. I found I could add my source Word document to Calibre and after a bit of tweaking create EPUB and Mobi ebooks. So far so good - happily no sign now of the little OBJ image in iOS.

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 4, 2019 6:36 AM in response to gill243

You should be looking at the free, 64-bit Calibre, which is in its 10th year, and compatible with Mojave or later with the current version. I exported a Pages v8.2 document to PDF, and then dropped that PDF into Calibre, and then requested it convert to ebook. It wrote out a compatible Apple Books ePub. Calibre also supports numerous other output formats including old and new mobi formats, and kindle directly. Those are configurable through its Preferences panel.

I suggest you export your Pages content to PDF, and see if Calibre can eliminate the Zamzar step which may be introducing that icon obj gibberish.

Although the excellent Vellum ebook generator is free, a lifetime book publish to multiple ebook formats with one button press is not. Vellum expects Word .docx as input, and allows you to model how your ebook would look on multiple devices by changing fonts and styles.

Nov 6, 2019 2:18 PM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, thank you, but I didn't go that route because my original document/book is in Word and I thought the less conversions the better. Thanks very much for your help - I was tearing my hair out over those little OBJ's. My current EPUB/Mobi conversions are looking very good on Mac and iOS and Kindle. I am hoping that testing will show the Calibre conversions also behave on other devices. 😊

Pages to EPUB conversion issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.