Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since Catalina: not able to log in to Apple Music, iTunes store, TV+, Podcasts

After my upgrade to Catalina, everything was first running smooth (except Time Machine, see my other post). Just the iCloud panel in the system preferences complained that I would need to log in again in order for some services to function correctly. I did not see which service wouldn't work, as everything (incl. Music, iTunes, TV+, iCloud drive, ...) worked perfectly. But to get rid of the annoying message, I did chose to log out of my AppleID and then in again.

Turns out this was a bad idea. The warning message in the preference panel went away at least, so mission achieved in that respect. Just: since then, I was thrown out of Apple Music, TV+, iTunes store, ... Being "thrown out" in the sense that it now simply shows the promotional panel asking if I want to try our Apple Music. If I click on "log in" in that panel, or chose "log in" in the "Account" menu, I have to enter my AppleID and password. While I do not get an error message, I am also not logged in, though. Nothing changes! Clicking on "iTunes store" sometimes gives an error ("check you network connection"), sometimes iTunes store loads up normally, just not having me logged in. I tried on a different user account (same machine, same AppleID) and it works! I re-installed Catalina (over the existing installation again), but the problem with my main user remains :-(

I know I could do a clean install, but honestly, it will take hours to re-install all relevant applications and user data (email, OMG), so I am VERY hesitant to do so and might rather wait for the next OS update.

Or is there ANYBODY out there who could help me?

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 2:46 AM

The problem is probably due to corrupt user databases, which are needed for the management of the logins of various Apple online services. Therefore, the workaround works with a new user. What helped me was the resetting of these databases. So, no new user profile or reinstallation is required. To do this open the terminal and enter the following commands. Then reboot and first log in to the relevant applications (Music, TV and Podcasts). Only then in the system settings again log in to iCloud. All applications connected to iCloud will be re-synced, which takes time especially with larger photo libraries and iCloud outsourced data.

sudo -v

***Enter Your Mac Password***

killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper

defaults delete MobileMeAccounts

rm -rf ~/Library/Accounts

***Should tell you at this point no matching processes found, after that reboot your Mac***

Similar questions

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 2:46 AM in response to MaBi

The problem is probably due to corrupt user databases, which are needed for the management of the logins of various Apple online services. Therefore, the workaround works with a new user. What helped me was the resetting of these databases. So, no new user profile or reinstallation is required. To do this open the terminal and enter the following commands. Then reboot and first log in to the relevant applications (Music, TV and Podcasts). Only then in the system settings again log in to iCloud. All applications connected to iCloud will be re-synced, which takes time especially with larger photo libraries and iCloud outsourced data.

sudo -v

***Enter Your Mac Password***

defaults delete MobileMeAccounts

rm -rf ~/Library/Accounts

***Should tell you at this point no matching processes found, after that reboot your Mac***

Nov 6, 2019 8:20 AM in response to MaBi

My documents folder that is in the dock, full of my school and work work. The folder was completely removed once it actually logged in after the weeks of nag messages. The folder was emptied and filled with links to the files that used to be there, but the links didn't work. Never seen anything like it before. Luckily i had a backup.

Nov 11, 2019 12:48 PM in response to Serge Rosenthaler

You are my hero! Worked flawlessly!

What an embarrassing bug/sloppiness by Apple, OMG... And VERY embarrassing that I had contact with TWO support guys at Apple, both of whom had nothing better to do than recommend me to log on and off or check if my firewall is interfering, despite I gave them an exact description of my problem. Well... we got you, Serge, to help us out of our misery! THANK YOU!

Nov 13, 2019 11:21 AM in response to Serge Rosenthaler

Oh yes, one more detail to add. If your affected user account is not an admin, the terminal commands will fail (no sudo possible). Therefore, you will have to tick "Allow user to administer this computer" for your user (obviously, for this, you need the credentials of an existing admin account). Then reboot the Mac, log in to the affected account again and do the Terminal commands as detailed by Serge. After this has been successful, you can "downgrade" the user account again to a regular user (which I would always recommend doing for your every day account).

Nov 16, 2019 8:56 AM in response to Serge Rosenthaler

Thank you Serge Rosenthaler: I was on the phone with two Apple Support techs for over two hours on Thursday the 15th. The second tech collected data details which was forwarded to the engineers for their assessment.

A simple google search led me to a discussion thread that mentioned you. I followed your instructions and it has resolved all my issues with tv, podcast and music apps under Catalina 10.15.1. Thank you for taking the time to submit those steps.

I continue to marvel at the expertise among the Mac user community and their generosity to share. What a pity Apple doesn't take advantage of that knowledge.

Nov 20, 2019 1:40 AM in response to Serge Rosenthaler

SUPER Irritating issue but this didn't solve it, which means Im obviously doing this wrong. Been using Mac for years and I never once opened up Terminal - Not at all computer savvy in terms of coding etc and Im clueless as to all of this stuff. I opened Terminal and pasted the stuff in - was I supposed to put my password in to "Enter Mac Password" or just put it in when it asks me Password after I hit enter..I tried multiple ways, then restarted computer, then tried Apple TV again to login, failed again, then tried logging out of iCloud and then doing this all over..Sorry for the ignorance guys but this is super frustrating and I have no idea how to fix. Thanks so much.

Nov 20, 2019 1:50 AM in response to Yosyos571

Try typing it instead, and remember to hit return at the end of each line. So…

sudo -v (hit return, it'll then ask you for your password)

killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper (hit return)

defaults delete MobileMeAccounts (hit return)

rm -rf ~/Library/Accounts (hit return)

killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper (hit return – this line isn't really necessary, it's just for confirmation)

Then reboot.

Dec 11, 2019 11:26 AM in response to MaBi

Thank you Serge!! this worked for me too. But since Apple Support Tech don't read these discussions, I am still waiting for them to get back to me with a solution. I even sent them this one, but never heard back. Supposedly (according to the AppleSupport person handling my case) they sent an email out to everyone who is having this problem on 11/22/19 saying that they were "working on it." I never got that email (or any email ever from Apple Support Tech) even though I have an open case with Apple Support for this issue. Did anyone else get the email?

Since Catalina: not able to log in to Apple Music, iTunes store, TV+, Podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.