Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dashboard replacement in Catalina?

I used dashboard widgets on a daily basis for work, currency exchange, dictionary, translator, calendar monthly view, calculator. I had it set with hot corners so with a slide I would have all this tools at my disposal. Upgraded to Catalina without knowing dashboard was killed. Are there any real options to get something setup to work in a similar way? One touch all the tools?

Notification center is very lacking regarding tools besides unlike dashboard widgets, almost all NC widgets are for sale, not nice to have to pay for something I already had and worked. HELP!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 11:55 AM

A number of the functions from dashboard are available in spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner). For example:

• type in an arithmetic expression (e.g., 14 + 15) and it will perform the calculation
  • type in a monetary value (e.g., 14.5 Mexican pesos), and it will show the currency conversion
  • type in a word, and the dictionary will show in the list of top hits giving you the definition

I don't think spotlight will help with other things like calendar views and such, but it does provide functionality that used to be in individual widgets.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 11:55 AM in response to zpandres

A number of the functions from dashboard are available in spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner). For example:

• type in an arithmetic expression (e.g., 14 + 15) and it will perform the calculation
  • type in a monetary value (e.g., 14.5 Mexican pesos), and it will show the currency conversion
  • type in a word, and the dictionary will show in the list of top hits giving you the definition

I don't think spotlight will help with other things like calendar views and such, but it does provide functionality that used to be in individual widgets.

Nov 8, 2019 12:05 PM in response to mjs22

Thank you. I guess I’ll have to find a way to use Spotlight and Siri though it is not optimal. I’m still looking for a translator. I wonder if there is a way to customize spotlight answers as in Calculator to give certain currencies or Dictionary to translate words into certain languages. Siri can’t tell a language from another it just suggests webpages.

Dec 18, 2019 1:52 PM in response to zpandres

I went to the Launchpad and found the Stickies app. When I opened the app, a message came up saying it had imported notes from the Dashboard, and my Stickie notes were displayed, still intact. I right clicked on the Stickies icon that was in the Dock, chose Options, and kept it in the Dock. So now instead of swiping to the Dashboard, I just have to open the Stickies app to see and edit my notes. You can also send your Stickie notes to the Notes app as an alternative.

Dec 18, 2019 2:27 PM in response to zpandres

The Apple provided System Preferences : Extensions : Today applications for use in the Notification Center are not for sale. They are included as part of the operating system. Third-party applications that may be purchase, or subscription based (e.g. Parallels Desktop, etc.) may also install items in this list of Today tools, and these will seek some form of payment as they are not free products.

There is no Catalina replacement for the Dashboard.

Dashboard replacement in Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.