Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sluggish 2019 iMac with Fusion Drive in APFS?

My new iMac is disappointingly sluggish. I'm wondering if this is because the Fusion drive is in APFS format?

My understanding is that APFS is designed for SSD, and performs poorly on spinning drives, so my intention has been to stay with HFS+ until SSD is more affordable.

However, on checking back, I'm very puzzled to find that my 2013 iMac was in APFS format too. Which explains, of course, why its 2019 replacement is too.

Two questions:

1. Is it true that the APFS is the likely cause of the very sluggish performance?
  2. If so, where can I go for instructions of how revert to all files and settings into an HFS+ backup or disk image to recover from? (I use both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner for backup.)

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 7:19 AM

Well there are several problems, you installed MacKeeper malware, this needs to be uninstalled ASAP. In addition you are using some crapware, slink ware needs to be uninstalled and also the VPN app Raynerware needs to go.

8 replies

Nov 8, 2019 11:33 PM in response to BillfromPyrmont

It has nothing to do with the format of the Fusion drive. Please do the following and we can look for obvious causes.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Sluggish 2019 iMac with Fusion Drive in APFS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.