Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost document error 43

When i try to open a particular document in pages it says it can't find it and gives me an error 43

I think the last time i had the document open i may have tried to save it, not sure why, it seems you don't have to save documents on my MB, they are just there..

Can I get it back?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 7:46 AM

A Pages document must be formally saved just once to trigger subsequent autosaves of changes in that document. It cannot be left as Untitled.pages without that initial save to a proper document name, or when one quits Pages, the document content is lost for good.

One cannot depend on the list of recently opened documents to automatically update when formally named documents are deleted.

If neither of the preceding paragraphs apply, then see if you can recover the Pages document from a recent Time Machine backup.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 7:46 AM in response to I_dont_believe_it

A Pages document must be formally saved just once to trigger subsequent autosaves of changes in that document. It cannot be left as Untitled.pages without that initial save to a proper document name, or when one quits Pages, the document content is lost for good.

One cannot depend on the list of recently opened documents to automatically update when formally named documents are deleted.

If neither of the preceding paragraphs apply, then see if you can recover the Pages document from a recent Time Machine backup.

Nov 11, 2019 9:01 AM in response to I_dont_believe_it

Personally, I do not use the Recents in Finder. Too darn confusing. I have the following settings, and never allow Recents to be seen in the Finder:

Finder Preferences

1. General
    1. New Finder windows show: [ house icon - short user name]
    2. [√] Open folders in tabs instead of new windows
  2. Sidebar (selected):
    1. Favorites
      1. Applications
      2. Desktop
      3. Documents
      4. Downloads
      5. Movies
      6. Music
      7. Pictures
      8. house icon
    2. iCloud (selected)
      1. iCloud Drive
    3. Locations (selected)
      1. Computer name
      2. Hard disks
      3. External disks
      4. CDs, DVDs, and iPods
      5. Bonjour computers
      6. Connected Servers (will show my Synology NAS)
  3. Advanced
    1. Keep folders on top:
      1. [√] In windows when sorting by name
      2. [√] On Desktop
    2. When performing a search:
      1. [ Search the Current Folder ]

Nov 11, 2019 8:41 AM in response to VikingOSX

I phoned apple support and it turns out I was just being stupid!

when I opened documents the recents file was open and I didn’t goto the ‘documents’ sub menu, I usually do but I’m ill today and not thinking straight.

why this happens in recents I don’t know? What’s the point in having recents if it can’t open them AND have it higher in the list than documents itself.

ive not made this mistake till today but now I feel it needs looking at and changing..

thanks to you and apple for the help

lost document error 43

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.