Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 11 is not water resistant

hey i got my iphone 11 yesterday and was really happy. I thought it was water resistant because apple and others had advertised. I thought if it is waterproof I can take it with me in the shower to listen to music. but after my shower I had to realize that the lower speakers crack and are quiet. as if there was a short circuit. At first I thought it was just the drops of water that just covered the sound. but after my sleep like 8h later when it was definitely dry I still had this crackling sound. I'm desperate right now. first day and that?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 10:42 AM

No phone is truly water-proof or water resistant. Also the Steam of the Hot Water of your shower isn't good for electronics. Do not get the device in touch with any liquid. Apple only gives you theoretical values.

Your phone is likely damaged now, take it into an Apple Store for service, a repair or replacement unit will cost you, it depends on your country. With AppleCare+ a replacement would be 99$, without it it's 399$, at least for the US.

See: iPhone service pricing – United States

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 10:42 AM in response to richard_rieck

No phone is truly water-proof or water resistant. Also the Steam of the Hot Water of your shower isn't good for electronics. Do not get the device in touch with any liquid. Apple only gives you theoretical values.

Your phone is likely damaged now, take it into an Apple Store for service, a repair or replacement unit will cost you, it depends on your country. With AppleCare+ a replacement would be 99$, without it it's 399$, at least for the US.

See: iPhone service pricing – United States

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Nov 12, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Limnos

Ähm yeah,

ok to understand that now. Apple writes in the article that my phone, the iphone 11 can stay easily at a depth of 2 meters for 30 minutes, But a 5 min shower with a bit music is to much?? And the thing is my phone didn't even got really wet. It only got a few big splashes. And that's what they've been promoting. Totally ridiculous!

Richard

Nov 12, 2019 6:53 AM in response to richard_rieck

It is not "waterproof". Apple says this about its resistance:

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - https://support.apple.com/HT207043

and:

Liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - http://support.apple.com/HT204104 - "iPhone and most iPod devices are equipped with Liquid Contact Indicators (LCIs) that you can see from the outside."

Take it to a Genius Bar for evaluation but be prepared to pay for out-of warranty repair (reduced cost it you have Applecare).

Nov 12, 2019 9:45 AM in response to richard_rieck

No, Appe never said anything about your phone surviving being submerged in water.

You misunderstood the testing method of water resistance with suggestion fir use.

Apple's official statement is never submerge your iPhone in liquid.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Nov 12, 2019 12:14 PM in response to richard_rieck

Everything needs to be taken with a bit of skepticism. The sealing materials are not permanently water resistant. Even if they manage to keep out water/dust/etc. after one or multiple exposures, each exposure degrades the sealing materials. And if you look at the description, there's always a reference to one or more footnotes. I'm pretty sure this was the source for the photo you posted:

iPhone 11 - Apple
Water resistant to twice the depth.
iPhone 11 is water resistant up to 2 meters for up to 30 minutes — double the depth of iPhone XR.1

1. iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions; iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes) and iPhone 11 has a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Nov 12, 2019 10:53 AM in response to richard_rieck

Realize those test conditions are exactly that. Very, very gently and slowly immersing a brand new iPhone in water under laboratory conditions. It's like a showroom car saying it get an estimated 35mpg fuel efficiency on the highway. Sure, it was testing an unladen car on a rolling track with no wind resistance and probably using pure gasoline and not a winter ethanol mix. You know that car's probably only going to get 30 mpg once you head off across hilly territory. You also know the pure white milk the TV commercials show you pouring over cornflakes is really diluted Elmer's Glue.

Apple tells you not to expose the phone to high pressure water from a shower, or water from a shower bouncing back off onto a phone. If the iPhone is in your pocket and a few drops of water accidentally get in they you stand a chance of getting away with it. It's not designed to stand up to you testing the device with any deliberate exposure to water.

Nov 12, 2019 12:13 PM in response to richard_rieck

As you know, the responses posted here do not come from Apple, just users like you. Even if we were to say, "Oh, it is terribly unfair, Apple should make you a full refund for your iPhone plus $1000 for emotional distress," it would make not one iota of difference. We just thought you would like to know in advance Apple's likely reaction when you take your device for repair and the reasoning for it. In fact what Apple has to say about this is what is in the links to the documents I posted in my first reply, such as not taking the phone into extremely humid conditions, and if something goes wrong in any connection with liquid damage it will not be covered by the warranty.

Nov 12, 2019 3:11 PM in response to richard_rieck

richard_rieck wrote:
yes but I had my iphone at this time only for 2 hours. It is brand new !! I unpacked it and I listened to music while showering because my bluetooth speaker is always empty. This means that it can not be due to material fatigue. And I didn't purposely destroy it. Only a few drops of lukewarm water have come on it.

The manufacturer has no way of knowing that, and in any case Apple specifically disclaims any liquid damage as not covered by the warranty. The last part of the disclaimer basically says they don't guarantee water resistance in any way. It's engineered to a certain standard, but again it's never guaranteed.

iphone 11 is not water resistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.