Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro adaptive EQ and high-frequency warble

The AirPods Pro are so far a bit hit-and-miss for me. Compared to the AirPods 2, I really like the silicone tips that now keep these earbuds in my ears—I had to use after-market add-ons to keep the AirPods 2 in place and sounding decent. I'd like to take advantage of both the Transparency and Noise-Reduction modes of the new AirPods Pro when I'm walking outside or in a noisy restaurant, but the Adaptive EQ screws things up. I'd love to use the features of the AirPods Pro, but just turn off the Adaptive EQ function or, as a compromise, freeze its settings after I've put the AirPods Pro in my ears. Here's the deal:

It seems the Adaptive EQ is doing it's best to figure out what EQ settings will be best for me by listening to the sound in my ear canal. Sure, it seems to work when sitting still, but the Adaptive EQ is always adapting—200 times per second according to Apple's promotional materials. I have to ask: Why? What is the point of changing the EQ up to 200 times per second? Doesn't it make more sense to just set the EQ when the AirPods Pro are inserted and then just leave it there? After all, my ears are my ears and don't really change much. It's not like these AirPods Pro are being swapped around between 200 different people with different ear profiles every second. It's just me wearing them without touching them.

The problem that happens is that, while walking, running, or even chewing food, these actions are causing small movements of either the AirPods Pro, the shape of my ear canal, or both. For example, with each footstep, the AirPods Pro might jiggle just a little bit. The super-sensitive Adaptive EQ seems to detect this as a change in my ear canal and attempts to quickly modify the EQ for that moment—a fleeting moment as the AirPods Pro go right back to their normal positions a faction of a second later.

When it comes to high frequency audio waves, 1/200th of a second is an eternity. While updating the EQ profile 200 times a second might be sufficient for transparently-adapting low frequencies, it's not good enough for adapting high frequencies. The result of this system is that there's this horribly-annoying warble or flutter in the high frequencies that's reminiscent of a worn-out cassette tape (remember those?) or MP3s encoded at really low bitrates with every step I take. If the music has exceptionally clear high-frequencies, like nice cymbals or very airy reverb, then this problem is extremely noticeable. The obvious test: just play back some white noise and try walking or chewing food with either the Transparency or Noise-Reduction modes on—you'll immediately hear the white noise start to flutter as the Adaptive EQ struggles to keep up with the tiny changes that are occurring in the ear canal.

But there's no point in the Adaptive EQ doing any of this. If you turn off the Noise-Reduction and Transparency modes, this also turns off the Adaptive EQ and then audio sounds absolutely fine! There's no weird warbling and audio sounds pretty darned good. I can walk and chew with no ill effects to the audio at all. So adapting the EQ in realtime isn't necessary at all for good sound and it would be a godsend to be able to turn that aspect of the AirPods Pro off—or at least isolate this feature to only the low-frequency ranges where the algorithm can keep up with changes in these longer waveforms.

For the time being, I can only use the Noise-Reduction mode when sitting at my desk in the office. This is a bit handy as it does reduce the ambient rumble in the place (though all high-frequency sounds—like the esses when people talk, for example—still come right through) but that's really the only place I can use it. Short of Apple allowing the option to disable this feature, I think I'm going to have to wait for some better third-party tips to come out, like the memory foam types that will fill more of the ear canal and hold the AirPods Pro more securely in place so they don't move when walking.

Anybody else hearing this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 1:03 PM

The Ear Tip Fit Test passes with all three sizes (small, medium, and large), but none of the tips solve the issue. The foolproof solution, as I mentioned above, would be to turn off the Adaptive EQ after the AirPods Pro have been put in the ears. Allow the Adaptive EQ to work for a few moments after the AirPods Pro are inserted so they can determine the correct profile, then freeze that profile until they're taken out again. There's no actual need to be constantly re-evaluating the EQ in the ear while they're being worn. And, like I also said, turning off the Noise-Cancelation and Transparency modes also turns off the Adaptive EQ, and then the problem of the high-frequency fluttering goes away. The audio sounds great then.

113 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 1:03 PM in response to i_rina

The Ear Tip Fit Test passes with all three sizes (small, medium, and large), but none of the tips solve the issue. The foolproof solution, as I mentioned above, would be to turn off the Adaptive EQ after the AirPods Pro have been put in the ears. Allow the Adaptive EQ to work for a few moments after the AirPods Pro are inserted so they can determine the correct profile, then freeze that profile until they're taken out again. There's no actual need to be constantly re-evaluating the EQ in the ear while they're being worn. And, like I also said, turning off the Noise-Cancelation and Transparency modes also turns off the Adaptive EQ, and then the problem of the high-frequency fluttering goes away. The audio sounds great then.

Dec 17, 2019 10:22 AM in response to lindijones

Thanks for the heads-up—I wouldn't have known there was a new firmware version otherwise. Indeed, I didn't even know how to check the firmware version until today. The firmware was not yet updated when I walked in to work this morning, but it was updated during the day at some point so I was able to test on my walk home from the office.

The short answer: This warbling issue is improved, but it is not completely fixed.

Details: It's a shame that I can't downgrade the firmware because it makes it impossible to do an A/B comparison. I have to just rely upon my memories of the experience before the upgrade. Nevertheless, this is what happened on the way home:

I started out from the office with the AirPods Pro in Transparent Mode. Upon starting out, the warbling was still there. I would get weird warbles with each step I took, possibly accentuated by the fact that I'm wearing heavy boots these days which sends deeper shocks up through my body as I walk. However, after a while (maybe a minute or so) the warbling seemed to mostly go away. I was walking at full speed and barely noticed any issue.

However, I would stop from time to time to allow my dog to sniff things or do his business. Upon restarting the walk, there would be some warbles again which, after a few meters, would go away again. This same behavior was observed when I switched to Noise Canceling mode.

So my conclusion is this: There is some kind of machine learning going on where the AirPods Pro analyze the system and start to ignore repetitive changes to which the Adaptive EQ would normally try to compensate. When I first started out walking, the system hadn't yet learned my pace or strength of steps, so the Adaptive EQ would attempt to compensate resulting in the warbles. But after a while, the system collected enough data that it started to ignore the repetitive steps. Only when I would do something "unexpected", like stopping abruptly, stepping off a curb, or other motions that resulted in harder/different steps, would a warble occur.

And when standing still for some moments, like when waiting for my dog, the system would start to "throw away" the data it had collected when I was previously walking. I would therefore hear warbles again when I resumed walking. The system would then "catch back up" after I walked a bit more and would resume ignoring my steps.

Same thing happens now as I sit at my desk and write this: If I now get up and walk around, there will be noticeable warbles for a moment until the system realizes I'm walking and should ignore these changes.

So it's is an improvement, but machine learning will never replace human wisdom—I therefore still wish there was a way to just freeze or disable the Adaptive EQ settings to that it would never try to compensate for any changes once I've put the AirPods Pro in my ears. I know when Adaptive EQ is needed and when it's not. But I'm sure some nerd at Apple is convinced that machine learning will solve this problem and has convinced his/her project manager to continue burning money on this topic rather than just providing a manual disable control for users. So we'll probably have to deal with this warble in some way, shape, or form on our expensive earbuds into the foreseeable future. Sigh...

Nov 17, 2019 6:15 AM in response to OmskInfo

Hey there OmskInfo,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having some issues using AirPods Pro as expected. I’d like to help with this.

It may help to take the Ear Tip Fit Test and see if this helps you determine which Ear Tips to use in certain scenarios. You can use this link to help:

Choose the size of your AirPods Pro ear tips for the best sound

I hope this helps.

Jan 8, 2020 12:54 PM in response to lindijones

Okay, so I just tested something. I sacrificed two memory sticks to tape them directly (and avoid finding them stuck in my ears) to pretend they were "normal" tips. Although the sound was quite bad, muffled because of the not large enough foam holes, I did not have a warble! So I deduce that the silicone tips from Apple are far too flexible, I find it surprising besides, their flexibility should precisely adapt perfectly to the ear canals. I can't wait to buy more tips.

Feb 2, 2020 12:58 AM in response to lindijones

I managed to mitigate its impact or even make it disappear by fiddling my tips myself, with an adapter + Apple tip filter (Yes my tips are red, I did not pay attention to the color when I bought them):

And memory foam stuck on the base of the apple tip and I no longer have a warble with this method!. So I really suspect that these are the official tips of Apple which (and it's personal) are far too flexible for my ears. I have tested other hard silicone tips but in size M, but the same, no warble problem. It is still incredible that just the tips, because they are too soft, cause us this kind of problem. Hey Apple, can you take out hard foam or silicone tips please?

Strongly real and good tips with shape memory, I expect good brands because on different stores, there are but I have doubts about their realization which should not be much better than mine for once.

Just for information, I therefore used the Symbio W tips in size L, removed the orange memory foam from the tips. The whole stuck on Apple tips colored in red (it is not Apple which sells them but I assure you that they are exactly the same).

Have you been able to find an alternative solution?

Apr 4, 2020 7:45 AM in response to kuhIay

Unfortunately for you but it is not a problem of updating Iphone, possibly the airpods pros but I am not even sure anymore.

I have seen the testimony of others having the same problem with no real solution. At worst, change of headphones (for those with old versions) which allowed those who have concerns to have better sound / bass / noise reduction but still warble.

Personally I am reduced to a regular cleaning today with fixing paste or blutack as I often see. Then, I added a tip holder which allows you to put any tip on the market. So I added Jabra tips (75T) which are basic very good with my ears and I have less problem than with the Apple tips, which I also think, must be too flexible for my ears.

You can also add memory foam if the outfit is not yet perfect to help.

I have never paid such expensive headphones, which do not work well without being forced to tinker with tricks that allow me to take full advantage of them. I am really disappointed with the product, luckily it has geeks on this Earth.

Apr 4, 2020 8:17 AM in response to KayneGiordano

I bought some cheap foam tips on Ebay. That limited the warble by at least 85-90%.

They are just one size, and they are a tad too small for me, so have to

work a little with it to get green ear tip fit test and good seal for

bass. But I do, and then sound is good,and warble gone.

So for me it had to be the silicone tips that moved in my ear when chewing/moving.

I look forward to try the Comply ones, when they are ready for shipment.

Dec 4, 2019 1:57 PM in response to OmskInfo

I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE and it drives me crazy.

AirPods Pro sound totally different from time to time and i don‘t know why.

I have so many different situations where my AirPods Pro sound completely different from time to time and i have no idea why. I assume it‘s the DSP stuff. I had them connected to my Apple Watch today and they sounded like 64kBit/s or even worse with muffled high frequencies. I also have that from time to time when they are connected to my phone. Precision and transparency is totally gone then.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirpodsPro/comments/e66e8e/airpods_pro_sound_totally_different_from_time_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Dec 7, 2019 2:08 PM in response to OmskInfo

Guys, I tried something.

Assuming we have a problem with the airpods because of the shape of our ears/ear canals. At this very moment, I am trying to find an alternative solution which consists in slightly modifying the ear pieces. I was inspired by this topic on a forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-pro-memory-foam-ear-tips.2211501/

Except that I do not have bits memory form like him so I tinkered with bits type conventional by reproducing the same pattern with the sizes M to test and it's much better! I have almost no more this infernal noise in my ears (the process and the material used are perfectible I think) So that would mean that the problem is my ears :(

While waiting to find better, I will keep this system hoping with all my heart new tips from other suppliers or other materials ...

Dec 8, 2019 4:36 PM in response to OmskInfo

I have the same issue of warbling, fluttering and muted crackling sounds in transparency and noise cancelling modes. "Normal Mode" is fine. I have tried all three sizes of tips and the same thing happens. It is isolated to the left Airpod for me though.

It would be great to hear whether Apple has identified this as an issue and if they have a fix.

Dec 11, 2019 9:06 AM in response to Guesty12

Thank you for this thread!!!

I can't walk over the floor in my apartment, at least not go for a walk / jog or even just chewing gum without the sound ruined by this "treble warble/fluctuations" phenomenon.

I thought I was crazy, or it was the fit of the APP in my ears, but after reading your post I'm now sure you're right.

This has to be fixed!!!

AirPods Pro adaptive EQ and high-frequency warble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.