Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to watch disney plus on old apple tv

Hello,

I am a bit confused with trying to watch Disney + on an old Apple tv. It makes no sense since my apple tv can support the new Apple TV subscription but not the Disney+. My old Apple TV was working just fine until this and it's pretty unfair. This is so disappointing.

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 8:22 PM

It looks like Disney+ won't be accessible from a 3rd gen Apple TV for the foreseeable future, but you can still AirPlay Disney+ content to your Apple TV. For further instructions: AirPlay video from iOS

Hope this helps,

Fin

60 replies

Nov 16, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Fin N

YOU CANT! I’ve tried everything all the way to restoring my Apple TV. I’ve tried to air play via my new iPhone, iPad and even through the Apple TV APP. When you try to play Disney + via airplay I get an error message “an error has occurred please try again later”! I have Verizon Fios and I’ve experienced NO previous issues streaming until this. THIS CLEAR AN UTTER BS!

Nov 14, 2019 8:32 AM in response to TreyS

It would have nothing to do with Apple, Disney have decided to to only release an app and the 3rd gen doesn't have the capability to run apps. Apple only has the authority on their own content, and as such they provided a server version for the TV app that became available to the 3rd gen. As of now Amazon is the only 3rd party provider who did the same, while many existing providers have actually started to drop support for the older models.

Nov 17, 2019 12:08 PM in response to CocoBugs83

It is working exactly the same as when you first bought it. This isn't an issue with the device itself, but rather a limitation of the hardware. If you want to run an app, or use any of the other features brought to the new OS then you need to upgrade. If a particular app is not working via airplay then that comes down to the developer and again has nothing to do with the Apple TV.

However, Apple still has a commitment to it's legacy products as was evidenced by the update to brought the TV app. By contrast Amazon has dropped support on products that are barely 2 years old.

Nov 19, 2019 1:07 PM in response to matdiana

matdiana wrote:

Then why are they making it available for download on new apple tv devices but not pushing out to older ones? Yet they pushed out apple tv app to the older ones...

Apple is in control of AppleTV+. They can make it available on the ATV 3. Amazon made Prime available on the ATV 3, if I recall correctly. Disney has apparently chosen not to. You'd have to ask them why they made that decision.

Contrary to popular belief, Apple doesn't control the world.

Nov 22, 2019 3:37 PM in response to cjohn2019

Thank you to whoever posted the ideas that prompted me to figure out this workaround :

To AirPlay on Older Apple TV generation models 3 ( and older I can I only assume because I have the 3rd gen).

Step1. Restart Apple TV... Unplug both HDMI & Power Cord wait 10+ seconds, eat some trail mix- very important

Step 2. Open Firefox Download it if needed it’s free. Do not use Safari or Chrome. Drink some water - even more important

Step 3. Open Disney Plus using Firefox and press Airplay...then talk your wife into watching The Mandalorian - Most important step... :)

Hope this helps!

Nov 26, 2019 10:46 AM in response to cjohn2019

I am equally disappointed; such unjust treatment of families who save their hard-earned money to buy apple products. Some cannot afford to buy new Apple products when they are released. My seven-year-old Apple TV works excellent; it supports Netflix and other streaming services. Disney and Apple must take care of the little guy; please put the Disney plus app on the older Apple TV.

how to watch disney plus on old apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.