Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro weird noise on one ear

Hi, I got a pair of AirPods Pro and as soon as out of the box one ear makes a weird scratching sound in noice-canceling mode. The weird scratching noise disappears if you are in regular no-noise-canceling mode. I tried another pair and it was also ok - no weird noise. I contacted Apple and they are reviewing the issue, but definitely there is something wrong in those. I also noticed the right problematic ear was running batteries twice as fast as the left one. Anyone with similar problems? Annoying as they are brand new and were bought for the noise canceling feature in the 1st place~

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 12:28 PM

got my AirPods pro today and having the same issue on the right speaker. A weird scratching noise like static. It only happens on active noise canceling and transparency mode. Tried to reset them but the problem insists.

114 replies

Dec 3, 2019 8:36 PM in response to pungme

I do have the exact same problem is not a constant hissing noise like other have complaint, in my case is only on the left side and as you said when you press the AirPod makes that weird noise in my case other people can hear it, but when I removed the silicone tip and try doesn’t happened at all so it’s super weird

May 6, 2020 12:56 PM in response to eugelit1

Hello,

I see there are some concerns about one side of AirPods Pro not working properly and hearing static like noises. I also see that this occurs while using Active Noise Cancellation. I know it's important for AirPods Pro to work as expected; I'd like to help. Below are some resources that may help to troubleshoot this behavior:

These resources provide additional information about AirPods Pro that may be helpful as well:

Take Care.

Jan 20, 2020 1:38 PM in response to RentalCouch

I tried it 2 times one after another but no luck. The way it somehow fixed itself was by leaving it on a table (with auto-ear detection on, so it disables itself until it goes back in my ear) and then picking it up and changing modes from noise - cancelling or transparency to off a couple of times. Now its not as common as those 3 or 4 days when this happened continuously and when it does the put on table and change to off and back on the mode I want works, for me at least.

Feb 1, 2020 10:12 AM in response to eugelit1

I had this problem as well, but it is super easy to fix. Put both airpods back in the case with both of the modes off. Then hold the button in the back for 15 seconds until the light turns amber, connect the airpods with your phone again. And problem solved, no hissing noise in any of the Airpods. Hope this helped

Feb 10, 2020 11:06 AM in response to eugelit1

Hi, I have the same issue. I just bought a pair AirPods Pro two days ago and I noticed the scratching noise in the right ear whenerver the right earbud moves a little bit. As described the noice only happens when they are in noice canceling or transparency mode, it does not happen in regular mode. The noice does not happen in the left earbud, only in the right one. If the bud is kept without movement it works fine, but if I turn arround my head rapidly or if I start running with them, then the right one makes the scratching/static noise. I already reset them as described and that didnt fixed the issue. I am draining the battery and recharging as last option before going back to the store.

Please help, I like the product but for the price I expect it to work flawlessly.

It would be nice from someone from Apple to expand on the situation. I hope this feedback helps you to improve the product since I really like it.

Thanks

Dec 4, 2019 12:59 PM in response to Apple_User253

Mine is like a feedback noise from a speaker and happens when I switch between transparency and noise cancellation I took them to the store today, they will review them. Hopefully I will get a replacement.

Dec 13, 2019 3:21 AM in response to eugelit1

I have the same problem since the purchase! It's a shame for Apple. Unfortunately I have no Apple Store in my country to visit it so writing here. I have constant problems with the right earphone in noise canceling mode. I constantly hear some terrible ultrasound, and it seems to me that it can even damage my ear. Is there any specific solution to this problem? Or should I just put up that I bought the trash for $249+?

I recorded a video where the problem is recognizable..

https://youtu.be/fYQsaz2fXkQ

Feb 11, 2020 9:44 AM in response to eugelit1

I'm having the same issue in the left ear pod, but it isn't a daily occurrence. Looking back, it seems to happen when I frequently remove the AirPods from my ears and put them back in while I'm at work and they are linked to my MacBook Pro. When I tested them on my iPhone, the static was still present but was definitely much worse in the noise cancelling mode. Eventually it does go away, typically after I can't take the static anymore and put them away for a bit. It's disappointing and frustrating since I've only had them for about a month.

Feb 25, 2020 12:06 AM in response to eugelit1

I have the same issue. Scratching sound in my right ear pod. It’s unbearable during phone calls.

im so disappointed with my air pod pros. Compared to the original AirPods (which are amazing) I’m an Apple fanboy and honestly - AirPod pros are crap. slow and very unreliable connection to iPhone and this scratching issue - can’t wait until Bose release their wireless version of the QC20’s!

AirPods Pro weird noise on one ear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.