Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t open documents on iPad Air2

Up until this morning (11/21/2019), I was able to open documents in Pages and Word that had previously been created and saved on either my Mac or MacBook Pro and now am getting different error messages:

On Pages document:

1) on a previously opened document: Can’t be opened right now. Pages couldn’t read the file. You can try restoring to a previous version.

2) on a document that had not been opened previously: Couldn’t be opened.

On Word documents, previously opened documents can still be opened, but new documents error message states: Couldn’t be opened.

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:10 AM

Funny thing is that for some reason, when I click on the Apps icon, I don't have the option to update the apps I've previously downloaded. Don't know what happened to that!

But in regard to my problem...I decided to see if there might be an update to my iPad. There was, I installed it, and now both Pages and Word are working fine.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 11:10 AM in response to QuickPost

Funny thing is that for some reason, when I click on the Apps icon, I don't have the option to update the apps I've previously downloaded. Don't know what happened to that!

But in regard to my problem...I decided to see if there might be an update to my iPad. There was, I installed it, and now both Pages and Word are working fine.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Nov 21, 2019 12:33 PM in response to QuestaGirl

I agree, it is quite difficult to find!

In my opinion, it seems clear that Apple wants updates to blend into the background. Something the end user does not have to worry about them. With Apple TV there isn’t an updates pane in the App Store. Applications automatically update in the background. All of Apple’s devices are now designed to work this way although I would say that it can take a few days before the iPad will find and install the update.

Can’t open documents on iPad Air2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.