Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing an iTunes song into imovie

I have some songs in iTunes that I cannot import into iMovie it says “protected MPEG”

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:51 AM

That's correct. Protected songs have DRM (digital rights management) protection and can't be used in iMovie. These songs were purchased in iTunes from year 2009 or earlier. Songs purchased after that date are DRM free. Also, songs downloaded from Apple Music to iTunes are DRM protected and can't be used in iMovie.

If you don't have a great number of DRM protected songs probably the easiest way to handle it would be to repurchase the songs as needed for your iMovie project. (Bummer, I know.) If you have a lot of DRM protected songs you can download DRM free "matches" of the songs through the iTunes "Match" program that you can subscribe to for about $24.99 per year. However, once you download the songs you can cancel the subscription for future years.

You can get more info on the Match program by opening iTunes, clicking on the Store tab at the top of the screen, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom. You will see an item called iTunes match that you can click on.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 11:51 AM in response to kazookid

That's correct. Protected songs have DRM (digital rights management) protection and can't be used in iMovie. These songs were purchased in iTunes from year 2009 or earlier. Songs purchased after that date are DRM free. Also, songs downloaded from Apple Music to iTunes are DRM protected and can't be used in iMovie.

If you don't have a great number of DRM protected songs probably the easiest way to handle it would be to repurchase the songs as needed for your iMovie project. (Bummer, I know.) If you have a lot of DRM protected songs you can download DRM free "matches" of the songs through the iTunes "Match" program that you can subscribe to for about $24.99 per year. However, once you download the songs you can cancel the subscription for future years.

You can get more info on the Match program by opening iTunes, clicking on the Store tab at the top of the screen, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom. You will see an item called iTunes match that you can click on.

-- Rich

Importing an iTunes song into imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.