Question:

Question: There is a cracking/popping sound when I play music/video using the mbp speakers, and jump to next song/video

I just got my 16 inch macbook pro. There is a cracking/popping sound when I play music/video using the mbp speakers, and jump to next song/video. Is this hardware or software issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 21, 2019 7:54 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

Hey,

I have the same issue on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch. I just bought it and went to a local Apple store to replicate the issue on their new demo computers.

We tested 4 demo Macbook Pros. 3 of the 4 we can replicate the issue.

Steps to replicate:

1) Open Youtube.com/SoundCloud.com

2) Play a media content with audio

3) Jump to another webpage, you will hear an audible POP as the system exits the page.

4) If you don't hear a pop,... navigate to previous page, and repeat step 3.

Notes:

Tested YouTube/Soundcloud on Safari, and Google Chrome (2 different browsers with 2 different webpages)

Tested Spotify by exiting the application instead of skipping to new song, creates a popping sound. Spotify Application has a built-in gradual descent on the audio, to 'mute' the sound instead of actually cutting the audio out completely like the other applications.

I don't know if we are allowed to post links, but here are some additional forums with same discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/dy7c9l/16_inch_macbook_pro_speaker_popping_issue/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/dztbj9/macbook_pro_16_popping_sound_issue/

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2227-clicking-audio-issue-with-new-16-inch-macbook-pro-and-final-cut-pro-x

Dear Apple, do you plan to address this hardware/software issue? I am inclined to say it is a driver/firmware issue, but only your company is able to provide this statement.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Nov 21, 2019 7:54 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

Hey,

I have the same issue on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch. I just bought it and went to a local Apple store to replicate the issue on their new demo computers.

We tested 4 demo Macbook Pros. 3 of the 4 we can replicate the issue.

Steps to replicate:

1) Open Youtube.com/SoundCloud.com

2) Play a media content with audio

3) Jump to another webpage, you will hear an audible POP as the system exits the page.

4) If you don't hear a pop,... navigate to previous page, and repeat step 3.

Notes:

Tested YouTube/Soundcloud on Safari, and Google Chrome (2 different browsers with 2 different webpages)

Tested Spotify by exiting the application instead of skipping to new song, creates a popping sound. Spotify Application has a built-in gradual descent on the audio, to 'mute' the sound instead of actually cutting the audio out completely like the other applications.

I don't know if we are allowed to post links, but here are some additional forums with same discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/dy7c9l/16_inch_macbook_pro_speaker_popping_issue/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/dztbj9/macbook_pro_16_popping_sound_issue/

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2227-clicking-audio-issue-with-new-16-inch-macbook-pro-and-final-cut-pro-x

Dear Apple, do you plan to address this hardware/software issue? I am inclined to say it is a driver/firmware issue, but only your company is able to provide this statement.

Nov 21, 2019 7:54 PM

Reply Helpful (7)

Nov 21, 2019 8:54 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

This appears to be a widespread issue. There are 30+ other people who have the same issue here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-one-notices-the-cracking-popping-sound-of-new-16-inch-mbp.2211902/page-3

Considering that people have only just started receiving this laptop, we'll probably see more people with similar complaints in the coming days.

Nov 21, 2019 8:54 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 21, 2019 9:14 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

I got my 16 inch MBP last Friday and I noticed popping sound when skipping video or closing tabs. Also, see the thread of Macrumors. From the vote we can see this issue is widespread.

I believe it's a software issue since if I play some music in background and keep it muted, then the popping sound disappears no matter what I do. So there may be some issues with the audio driver or related codecs, I'm not an expert of this. I hope Apple could investigate this and give an official explanation.

Nov 21, 2019 9:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 21, 2019 9:33 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

Same here. Brand new MBP 16-inch base model.

Happens on YouTube in Safari when skipping around the video, or when closing the tab that's playing the video. Pops come randomly out of the left or right speaker whenever the sound is stopped abruptly. Doesn't happen when skipping around an MP4 video in QT Player. Doesn't happen when playing music in Spotify and skipping around - but it does happen in Spotify if I stop the sound abruptly by closing the lid or plugging in headphones.

Another reliable way to reproduce: Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > MacBook Pro Speakers > Configure Speakers > click either of the Test buttons in the bottom right corner of the window. You'll (usually) hear a click after the test noise stops.

Would be great to know if this is hardware or software related. I'm assuming it's a driver issue at this stage.

BTW there are other reports of this issue with the 16-inch appearing at the end of this thread on the 2019 15-inch model:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250758649?page=3

Nov 21, 2019 9:33 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 21, 2019 10:03 PM in response to liangfromrochester In response to liangfromrochester

Also getting this under the same circumstances. It is definitely related to the power/signal being cut from the speakers. I'd bet it's a hardware issue that could potentially be rectified by software (OS/Driver) issues, but that's just speculation. Taking mine in to the Genius Bar tomorrow for them to take a gander.

Let's get an official response here Apple, that's all I want. I don't want to return the computer, I'm otherwise quite happy with it. But some communication would be great.

Nov 21, 2019 10:03 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 21, 2019 10:46 PM in response to JPOD89 In response to JPOD89

Not sure if this helps, but every time there's a pop when you skip in YouTube, this error appears (tens of times) in the Console:

default 17:35:04.917068+1100 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent SourceBufferPrivateAVFObjC::enqueueSample(89250002) prerollDecodeWithCompletionHandler failed

I don't see this error on my 2010 MBP (macOS 10.13.16) when skipping around in YouTube (with no pops of course).

Nov 21, 2019 10:46 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 22, 2019 1:28 AM in response to JPOD89 In response to JPOD89

There is a "stupid" workaround: just put an empty mp3 files in background, I mean a long mp3 file of "silence".

If you are lazy like me, this could be automated with crontab that run "afplay" shell command every hour (my mp3 is 1h long), or with automator that run same command.

Losing 1% of cpu, but problem is solved.

Hope that Apple fix this issue with a more elegant solution.

Bye from Italy.

Nov 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 22, 2019 3:24 PM in response to mattdoyle In response to mattdoyle

This may be part of the problem or it might not be. I was able to reproduce your error in both Safari and Chrome. But both of these browsers are webkit browsers. When I switch to Firefox (which is not a webkit browser), I still hear the clicking noise but I do not see the error in the log

Nov 22, 2019 3:24 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: liangfromrochester

Question: There is a cracking/popping sound when I play music/video using the mbp speakers, and jump to next song/video