Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

-1 Region when Connecting Apple External Superdrive in order to play DVDs

When connecting the Apple external superdrive (Model A1379 5V --1.6A EMC 2526 CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B)) in order to play a dvd, I receive a popup window prompting me to select the region for the DVD drive. Already preselected is region"-1"; when trying to change the current and preset region from -1 to 1 which is the appropriate region, the changes do not save and -1 continues to show as the region. I tried using the external drive with an iMac late 2015 and a MacBook pro late 2015, both running Catalina OS 10.15.1, the issue reproduces it self on both devices. Cds are able to play fine. When inserting a cd, the apple music app opens. (See screenshots or issue or error) I have tried clicking the lock in order to change the region from -1 to1. After selecting the region and pressing "Set drive region" I receive an error in the Viewer window (the window that should play the video/dvd content) that says "Not Permitted"

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 10:20 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 23, 2019 10:41 AM in response to HoustonFeliz

There is no such region as -1 it is 1 did you try a DVD.......Are you trying one from a different region than 1..........Your DVD drive is automatically set to a region code the first time you play a coded DVD. If the region code for a DVD doesn’t match the current region code of your DVD drive, a dialog asks you if you want to change the code for the drive.

Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 24, 2019 3:37 PM in response to HoustonFeliz

I have the exact same problem. I ended up calling Apple Support, and they told me that there is a known issue with Catalina which won't allow you to set the region. They had me try booting in safe mode and try it again, but when I inserted the DVD in the SuperDrive, it wasn't recognized.

The support person said the solution is to set the region on a Mac that has an OS version older than Catalina, then the SuperDrive will be usable by Catalina.

I haven't tried this yet - I'm trying to see if anyone I know has an older version of the software - I'm trying to avoid downgrading one of my systems, but that might be my next move.

Good Luck.

-1 Region when Connecting Apple External Superdrive in order to play DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.