Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina 2019 Samsung CRG90 resolution issue

Hi, i have resolution issue with my external ultrawide 32:9 monitor Samsung CRG90.

Setting shows resolution 5120x1440 (see screen) but monitor resolution is only 3804x1080.

I have read about such problems several times but I have not found any solution anywhere.

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 5:06 PM

The issue with that is, the specs for the machine state it IS capable of driving it. If this fell under a compatibility issue with the Macbook and 32:9 resolution monitors, Apple wouldn't state that the resolution it's capable of is above what we can't get.

I have a ticket opened with engineering as we speak in regard to this issue so I will be getting official word on what's going on exactly and if Apple has been misrepresenting the external monitor capabilities of the 2019 Macbook Pro 13''.

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2020 5:06 PM in response to VoV5

The issue with that is, the specs for the machine state it IS capable of driving it. If this fell under a compatibility issue with the Macbook and 32:9 resolution monitors, Apple wouldn't state that the resolution it's capable of is above what we can't get.

I have a ticket opened with engineering as we speak in regard to this issue so I will be getting official word on what's going on exactly and if Apple has been misrepresenting the external monitor capabilities of the 2019 Macbook Pro 13''.

Nov 26, 2019 6:04 PM in response to lukkin

Hello lukkin, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. From your message it appears that the external display that you have is reporting a different resolution than the one you have selected in Settings on your MacBook Pro. 

If this is correct, take a look at the information in this article to see which models of MacBook Pro support different display types: Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac.

Cheers!

Jan 16, 2020 1:35 AM in response to lukkin

All 13 inch MBP with Intel graphics fail to deliver the output of 5120x1440... I was going to purchase the MBP16 with Radeon video card in order to finally get proper resolution out of my Samsung CRG9, but then came up to the experiment.

I have MBP 13 Late 2017 with Intel Iris Plus 640 graphic card and it was unable to give 5120x1440 resolution to the external monitor.

I purchased HP Omen Accelerator (150EUR) + Radeon RX570 video card (170 EUR) = 330 EUR (in my case got additional discount from the store of 90EUR, making the whole purchase 240 EUR big).

MBP13 connects to HP Omen via Thunderbolt 3, and then HP Omen connect to the Samsung CRG9 with one Display port. And this is the whole magic. Please see screenshots below:

Jan 30, 2020 7:18 PM in response to lukkin

Thanks for this feedback. I am running the CRG90 on my Macbook Pro 13" 2017. Apple says I am scaling 5120x1440. Samsung says I am only getting 3840x1080. I tried to change the resolution on the mac multiple times and no matter what resolution I am running the Samsung monitor ALWAYS reads 3840x1080. I ran a browser and it shows I am running 5120x1440. But you experience suggests it IS NOT the 5120 Res.

I am unsure what I am running, see attached pic. What device did you pick up and did you notice it improved the monitor resolution? I am finding the text on the screen right now to be very blurry compared to my previous 4K s27" screen.

Nov 29, 2019 9:32 AM in response to sterling r

My macbook should support this resolution. See spec.

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
One display with 5120‑by‑2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Up to two displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Up to two displays with 3840‑by‑2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

My external monitor has resolution 5120x1440 and i can setup this resolution in my setting. But resolution is only 3804x1080 even though the mac says it is there 5120x1440 i dont understand where is problem. Notebook with another os works fine.

Nov 29, 2019 1:26 PM in response to lukkin

Hi lukkin,

In the screenshot you have Scaled resolutions checked, if you select Default for Display do you see the appropriate resolutions?

If not and your display is still reporting a different resolution, check and see if there are any internal settings that the display has. If you're not sure, you can check out this link for the user manual for the model display you have, as well as how you can reach to the manufacturer for more help: 49" CRG90 Series Curved Ultra-Wide Monitor

Cheers!

Jan 11, 2020 2:24 PM in response to lukkin

I have the same setup. Read a lot about it and it seems that all the 13 inch lapops with Intel Iris graphic cards are unable to drive our monitor (crg9). 15 inch or 16 inch laptop with Radeon video cards will run the monitor in its proper 5120x1440 resolution.

one more option is to connect external eGPU.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina 2019 Samsung CRG90 resolution issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.