Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos Lost After Sync

I just synced my iphone to a new computer. When I did so and selected "include voice memos," 365 synced and over 100 disappeared. I was actually looking at my voice memos app while the sync took place and saw them vanishing. I had hoped the sync would make everything on my phone appear on my computer, but while some transferred and are now in the voice memos playlist, others are nowhere to be found.

The worst part is, I thought there may have been some kind of glitch in the transfer, so I wiped my phone clean and restored from a very recent backup only to find that ALL my voice memos were gone because the iphone backups do not include voice memos.

Is there any kind of magical way I can retrieve these memos? I'm a musician and have lots of demos and live shows recorded here, so they're rather important to me :(

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:21 AM

Hey alexi194,

I understand after syncing your iPhone to iTunes, you've lost your voice memos, even after restoring the device from a backup.

The backup only includes information and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include information already stored in iCloud. Did you have Voice Memos for iCloud set up at one point? This may explain why they didn't restore with the backup. You can see if you can find them by signing in to iCloud.com using a browser on a computer. If you find the voice memos there, make sure this feature is toggled on for the iPhone: Change your iCloud feature settings - Apple Support.

Also, make sure that voice memos weren't syncing to any third-party account that may have been removed. You can check for any missing accounts on your iPhone by going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

You can also read some more information about this under "About your Messages and Voice Memos data" here: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup - Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 6:21 AM in response to alexi194

Hey alexi194,

I understand after syncing your iPhone to iTunes, you've lost your voice memos, even after restoring the device from a backup.

The backup only includes information and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include information already stored in iCloud. Did you have Voice Memos for iCloud set up at one point? This may explain why they didn't restore with the backup. You can see if you can find them by signing in to iCloud.com using a browser on a computer. If you find the voice memos there, make sure this feature is toggled on for the iPhone: Change your iCloud feature settings - Apple Support.

Also, make sure that voice memos weren't syncing to any third-party account that may have been removed. You can check for any missing accounts on your iPhone by going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

You can also read some more information about this under "About your Messages and Voice Memos data" here: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup - Apple Support

Cheers.

Voice Memos Lost After Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.