Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my apple watch need to be set up with my mobile carrier

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 12:04 PM

If you have GPS only Apple Watch or you do not want to use the cellular features of a cellular Apple Watch (for example you want the Stainless steel or ceramic for the style, but did not care about having Cellular), then your iPhone cellular provider does not need to know about your Apple Watch.

An Apple Watch without cellular (either GPS only, or cellular not activated) will do Everything an activated cellular model will do as long as the iPhone is nearby.

But if you want the use the cellular model away from your iPhone (for example, you like to run, hike, ride bike, etc... without your iPhone), then you would need to have your iPhone cellular provider share your iPhone's phone number with the Apple Watch. The U.S. carriers charge $10 per month extra for this service. Other carriers will have a similar fee based on costs in their area of the world.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 12:04 PM in response to elda1973

If you have GPS only Apple Watch or you do not want to use the cellular features of a cellular Apple Watch (for example you want the Stainless steel or ceramic for the style, but did not care about having Cellular), then your iPhone cellular provider does not need to know about your Apple Watch.

An Apple Watch without cellular (either GPS only, or cellular not activated) will do Everything an activated cellular model will do as long as the iPhone is nearby.

But if you want the use the cellular model away from your iPhone (for example, you like to run, hike, ride bike, etc... without your iPhone), then you would need to have your iPhone cellular provider share your iPhone's phone number with the Apple Watch. The U.S. carriers charge $10 per month extra for this service. Other carriers will have a similar fee based on costs in their area of the world.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.