Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 16" MacBook Pro - Running Slow

Hi,

I just picked up a new MacBook Pro 16" (Base Model - 9th Gen i7, 16GB RAM, AMD 5300M, 512GB SSD) for my fiancee yesterday from the Apple Store.

I work with MacBook Pro's at my work (repair them, troubleshoot, run software installations and updates), with models ranging from early 2013 Pros to early 2019. However, when we set these up for new users, they are preloaded with a bunch of apps.

Setting up my fiancee's new laptop, we used the migration assistant from Windows to Mac, and moved over her files. When I rearranged them to make them easier for her to find, I noticed that the Mac itself was sluggish. Specifically in opening up different windows, it seemed as though they were stuttering when opening, not the smooth transition I am used to at work. I ran the most recent MacOS updates before proceeding and I'm thinking it has something to do with that? Has anyone else experienced any sluggishness on the most recent version of Catalina? We're still stuck in Mojave at work (can't update until we get all of our security apps up to 64-bit).

Thanks for any input!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 12:08 PM

Similar questions

82 replies

Dec 17, 2019 1:01 PM in response to TwoHandsome

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 2, 2020 10:36 AM in response to barkhead

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps? If you have download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 31, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Prosuono

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be contributing to the problem.

Sep 8, 2020 11:57 AM in response to lyle5200

Copy the report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Dec 30, 2019 10:56 AM in response to sb020397

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report.

Log into another user account and see if the problem persists there in Photos. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Then boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac) and reboot normally. Check to see if the performance is any better.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

You could also try removing all of the items in the User Login preference pane and launch then only as needed.

Apr 20, 2020 9:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Hey, thank you so much for the help. I have done what you instructed. I am surprised about CleanMyMac and Gemini, thought they are useful. Especially to optimize the ram since I noticed it kept increasing and I have to perform the task to make...the system running smooth. I attached the report and if you kindly check to see if everything is better now?

Apr 20, 2020 10:53 AM in response to Old Toad

RAM- Got it, thank you.

Activity Monitor- Did not think about using it! :)

Little Snitch- Understood. If it cause any issues then I will uninstall it.

"Click Here to Install"- I do not need it and I do not know how it got there. I just restarted the PC and performed the EtreCheck. I think it is still there. I do not know where to find it so I can remove it.

May 28, 2020 9:29 AM in response to matthews97

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. However, I do see some unnecessary software that's been installed: PACE Anti-Piracy. There is no reason to ever run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

LastPass has been crashing a lot. Make sure you have the very latest version installed.

To see if it's something in your user account that the culprit log into another pristine user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Next I'd boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and then reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Lastly if it's still crashing boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and repair the disk. Reboot normally and check again.

You have 14 or 15 days from the initial purchase to return the laptop to Apple for a full refund no questions asked. Don't know if your local store is open but it's something you might consider if you an find a solution quickly. It they are closed all Apple within the time period and let Customer Support know that's what you want to do. Then you'll be on record in time.

Wish I had more positive news.

Jul 7, 2020 10:27 AM in response to alexcoman92

One issue is that you've installed some very unnecessary software, BitDefender. There is no reason to ever run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.   '

Do a Google search for the developer's instructions for uninstalling it. You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for BitDefender software you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains bitdefenderYou can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for Bitdefender software you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains epsecurity

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

Also Google Chrome is a known resource hog. If you don't like Safari give Firefrox a try. It's faster and more secure than Chrome.

Apr 19, 2020 7:05 PM in response to Jared_Tech97

I just bought 16'' MBP (i9 , 16GB, 1TB, 5500M) and having serious issues.

1. when i want to open an app(specially chrome) it just gets dying. it lasts seconds and i cant click on anything.
  2. my battery is horrible. it just last for 2 hours without doing any heavy work. and i checked CPU usage and i didnt found any culprit.

i came from windows because of slow speed and now i just have 2x .

i spent this much money and having this issues, i just want kill myself.

Apr 20, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Diego7

No wonder you're having problems. You've installed a couple of apps that are considered akin to malware around here: CleanMyMac X and Gemini. Do a Google search on how to uninstall according to the developer's instructions. There is no reason to every run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps.

You have an app, The Witness, that is hanging. Made sure it's the latest version and is fully compatible with Catalina.

You've also got an unusually large number of Safari extensions for blocking content. You should select one and use only it. I use Ghostery Lite and it works very well by itself.

You have a large number of apps in the User Login Items. To improve system performance limit them and launch those you need only when you need them and then close when done.

When done uninstalling rerun Etrecheck and check the report for any occurrences of cleanmymac, gemini or macpaw

Nov 25, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Jared_Tech97

That new Mac should have shipped with a special build of Catalina, and it isn't clear that upgrading it to 10.15.1 would provide the proper hardware support that it needs. Might have been better to wait until 10.15.2.

You might consider running the free Malwarebytes for Mac on it, as it might detect malware in those windows files that got migrated over.

Does the Activity monitor show any resource hog of the CPU other than the kernel?

Nov 25, 2019 3:03 PM in response to Jared_Tech97

The EtreCheck report would answer a great many questions, and may inform about what is causing a slow down. If you purchased that Mac from Apple, there is a 14-day return policy, and 90 days of free phone support.

Hoping that you know better, but installing any anti-virus tool is both futile and a killer of performance on macOS. How much available storage remains after the Windows data migration concluded. Right-cilck on the Macintosh HD icon and select Get Info from the secondary menu.

New 16" MacBook Pro - Running Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.