Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo dates and sorting

I have pictures taken in other time zones where the camera or iPhone was not showing the correct local time. I used "adjust date and time" to make the time correct. However, I cannot get the to show in the order "oldest first." So, for example, we visited an art museum and a national park. My iPhone photos are dated correctly. Camera photos, after import, were adjusted. But the camera photos show up in the wrong order. This occurs both in the main library of photos, and also in the album that I created - even when I choose "oldest first" in the Sort options. How do I get the photos to show up in the correct order. (Not using Catalina, because too many apps aren't updated for it.)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 12:15 PM

we visited an art museum and a national park.

Are your photos tagged with GPS? while inside the museum, you may not have been able to receive the GPS satellites, but outside the museum the photos may be tagged with GPS.

when you import photos, the GOS will be used to guess the timezone the camera has been set to. and photos you took with GPS tags may be assigned a different timezone from the photos without GPS tags.

When you import photos without GPS tags, Photos will use the timezone of the current system time to read the camera time stamp, and if the photo has a GPS tag, Photos will use the timezone of the local time. Both estimates might be wrong, if the camera clock has been set to a completely different time. The "Adjust Date&Time" panel allows you to set the correct timezone and closest city.

How Photos Handles Time Zones when Import… - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 12:15 PM in response to QuackerinAZ

we visited an art museum and a national park.

Are your photos tagged with GPS? while inside the museum, you may not have been able to receive the GPS satellites, but outside the museum the photos may be tagged with GPS.

when you import photos, the GOS will be used to guess the timezone the camera has been set to. and photos you took with GPS tags may be assigned a different timezone from the photos without GPS tags.

When you import photos without GPS tags, Photos will use the timezone of the current system time to read the camera time stamp, and if the photo has a GPS tag, Photos will use the timezone of the local time. Both estimates might be wrong, if the camera clock has been set to a completely different time. The "Adjust Date&Time" panel allows you to set the correct timezone and closest city.

How Photos Handles Time Zones when Import… - Apple Community

Nov 27, 2019 4:45 PM in response to léonie

Thank you! This explanation was very helpful. I figured it out - If I just correct the tie (Adjust Date and Time), the tie I put in shows up, but the sort doesn't work. I had to do as you suggest - in the bottom of the Adjust Time window, I had to change the time zone to "Paris" or wherever. After that, the sort worked. So I guess the sort algorithm must look at both the time zone and the actual date/time. (It doesn't help when the group of travelers shares photos and everyone's camera or phone is set differently!) I'm on the right track now.

Photo dates and sorting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.