Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

check media for compatibility

I know that I have legacy media in my iMovie library, but when I click "check media for compatibility" it doesn't do anything. Anyone run into this?

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 10:23 AM

The .mov format is a compatible format, not an incompatible format. That may be why it is not being flagged. Sometimes the "no incompatibility issues" message does not appear, although it does usually appear. I did a test once with a library that I knew had no compatibility issues and I did not get the "no incompatibility" message.

-- Rich

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 10:23 AM in response to tdecks

The .mov format is a compatible format, not an incompatible format. That may be why it is not being flagged. Sometimes the "no incompatibility issues" message does not appear, although it does usually appear. I did a test once with a library that I knew had no compatibility issues and I did not get the "no incompatibility" message.

-- Rich

Nov 28, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe that is the problem. If I navigate directly to the file, I see that it has a .mov extension. If I double click on it, quicktime actually converts it. I don't believe iMovie is actually completing the "Check media for compatibility" process. As a troubleshooting step, I opened another iMovie library, clicked on the link, and it says "no media compatibility issues were detected in the library". My main library is rather large, so I'm wondering if that is the problem. Still you would think Apple would have thought of this. This problem is effectively preventing me from upgrading Mac OS or buying a new mac.

Thanks,

Tony

Nov 28, 2019 11:25 AM in response to tdecks

If you are worried about the absence of a "no compatibility issue" message the only way to double check that is to open the link that I previously sent and check to see whether the format of any of your videos or photos appears on the list of incompatible formats. As you review the list you probably have a pretty good idea of which formats you have used in the past. Make a note of ones that you want to check out in your iMovie library. After reviewing the list open iMovie and click on your library's name in the iMovie side bar and that will display in the media browser all media in the library. Then type in one of the formats that you are concerned about, for example .avi, in the Q search box at the top of the media browser screen. That will search for and display all videos in the format that you typed in. The format .avi is one of the unsupported legacy formats so if you type in .avi in the search box that will display all .avi formatted videos. If there are none, you don't need to worry about that format. Repeat the process until your have searched all of the formats of concern.

-- Rich

Nov 28, 2019 7:13 PM in response to Rich839

I made a test library and dropped in a random sampling of some of my files that I was concerned about. When I clicked on "Check media for compatibility", it successfully checked and confirmed that there was no incompatible media. I'm guessing the size of my main library is part of the problem, but at least this way I confirmed that I should be good to upgrade. Thanks!

check media for compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.