Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old albums exist on iCloud.com but the same albums are empty in Photos

This has been asked several times and I have tried several things but I haven't found an answer that says, "Oh! This happens when [situation] and to fix it, you must [solution].

I have many years' worth of photos in iCloud. Many of them are in old iPhotos albums, which is a bit confusing but it's okay. However, those same albums on the computer are empty.

I have turned iCloud off and back on, I have upgraded iCloud to make sure I have enough space (there was a long time there where we had exceeded our 200GB plan but didn't really consider what that meant for our old photos), I have moved the library and re-linked to it in the new location.

After all that, iPhoto says it's uploading 8000 photos. I have no idea what's going on there, and hope there's some way to remove duplicates later, but I'm going to let it finish overnight, in hopes that that is only the first part of the syncing process and the missing photos will download.

In the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots to show what I'm looking at; there are probably 100 Albums with 0 photos.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 2:10 AM

What may have happened:

• When you disabled iCloud Photos and turned it on again, and also when you moved the library, the connection between iCloud Photos and the library has been broken.
  • Now Photos is treating the moved library as different library, that needs a complete new syncing with iCloud Photos.

Photos is uploading all photos from your current library to iCloud to merge them into the existing iCloud Photos Library. While it is doing this, it will try to resolve conflicts between the photos already in iCloud the photos in your moved library. There should not be any duplicates, once the new upload has been finished. Only then will photos start to download missing photos from iCloud, and then the albums should be populated again with photos. You may need to wait a few days, until you are seeing the albums again correctly.

But do not do anything that will interrupt this new upload or toggle iCloud Photos on and off. It will take just longer, because it might result in the upload starting over from scratch.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 2:10 AM in response to WyoLarsens

What may have happened:

• When you disabled iCloud Photos and turned it on again, and also when you moved the library, the connection between iCloud Photos and the library has been broken.
  • Now Photos is treating the moved library as different library, that needs a complete new syncing with iCloud Photos.

Photos is uploading all photos from your current library to iCloud to merge them into the existing iCloud Photos Library. While it is doing this, it will try to resolve conflicts between the photos already in iCloud the photos in your moved library. There should not be any duplicates, once the new upload has been finished. Only then will photos start to download missing photos from iCloud, and then the albums should be populated again with photos. You may need to wait a few days, until you are seeing the albums again correctly.

But do not do anything that will interrupt this new upload or toggle iCloud Photos on and off. It will take just longer, because it might result in the upload starting over from scratch.

Nov 30, 2019 7:18 AM in response to léonie

Thank you. It took me quite a while to even notice that it was uploading; it doesn't give any feedback except at the very bottom of the long long page of photos. In fact I wouldn't have seen it at all but I think a cat must have stepped on the keyboard "END" key ;-)

I'll let it finish doing its thing (overnight: uploading is about 80% complete) and I'll watch for it to start to repopulate the local library...

I appreciate your clear and kind answer; will post results when I get them...

Old albums exist on iCloud.com but the same albums are empty in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.