Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications folder

I can't open anything in my applications folder. I get a message that says 'you can’t open the application “X,Y or Z" because it is in a Time Machine backup'. But its not. I have tried the following:

*Rebooted the computer (its an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6) *Used time machine to restore from 1 month ago. * Wiped the HD and reinstalled the OS. *I reset permissions for my home folder, used terminal to enter diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`, rebooted, same problem.

I still get the same message. I wanted to run disk utility but I can't access it because it's in the applications folder. I've gone as far as I can with my limited knowledge. I NEED HELP!!! Any thoughts?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 10:16 AM

Shut down,

Disconnect your Time Machine backup,

Disconnect all other unnecessary external drives and devices,

Startup the iMac and see if you can access Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Or optionally and in addition to the above > Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If not or those above do not work?

Then you need to reinstall macOX on your internal drive,

as per the instructions at > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Stevo57

Shut down,

Disconnect your Time Machine backup,

Disconnect all other unnecessary external drives and devices,

Startup the iMac and see if you can access Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Or optionally and in addition to the above > Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If not or those above do not work?

Then you need to reinstall macOX on your internal drive,

as per the instructions at > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Applications folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.