Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos taken by different devices not effectively sorted by time

During my holidays I took pictures with my iPhone and with an old Nikon D60 camera. I synced iPhone photos via iCloud and imported the Nikon photos to Apple Photos. I would like to merge the "two sources" simply by time. In Photos I selected View->Sort->Keep Sorted By Oldest First, but still my pictures are not exactly merged. They generally are, but seems that they stay a bit grouped by source device and it happens that some photos taken by one device on a moment are sorted after photos taken 2/3 days later by the other device.

Can anyone help me on that please?

thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 10:38 AM

Have your iPhone and the clock of your Nikon set to the same time?

And have the photos been taken in a different timezone from your home timezone where you imported them to your Mac? you may want to check the timezones assigned by Photos to the images, if they are correct. You can see the timezones and closest city in the "Image > Adjust Date & Time " dialog.

If the photos from the iPhone and the Nikon are having different timezones assigned, that do not correspond to the clock settings of the device, when you took the photos, correct this in the "Image > Adjust Date&Time" dialog.

In Photos 5.0 on Catalina you can make the timezone visible in the Info for a photo, see:

How to display the Date and Time Zone in the Info in Photos in Catalina

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 10:38 AM in response to phcon

Have your iPhone and the clock of your Nikon set to the same time?

And have the photos been taken in a different timezone from your home timezone where you imported them to your Mac? you may want to check the timezones assigned by Photos to the images, if they are correct. You can see the timezones and closest city in the "Image > Adjust Date & Time " dialog.

If the photos from the iPhone and the Nikon are having different timezones assigned, that do not correspond to the clock settings of the device, when you took the photos, correct this in the "Image > Adjust Date&Time" dialog.

In Photos 5.0 on Catalina you can make the timezone visible in the Info for a photo, see:

How to display the Date and Time Zone in the Info in Photos in Catalina

Photos taken by different devices not effectively sorted by time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.