Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library Access

When attempting to open my iMovie library, I'm being met with this:

The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied.

“iMovie Library” is already in use by “user” on “user's MacBook Pro”.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running Sierra (10.12.6). My iMovie version is 10.1.8.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 9:18 PM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2019 10:49 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich,

I performed a reboot, but the issue persisted.

When checking to see Read/Write permissions were in place for the library I saw "You have custom access".

When checking the Get Info of my external drive icon, I see no box that says "Ignore ownership on this volume". Similar to the library, the Read/Write is "custom access".

A quick look at other files and folders within the external drive shows regular Read/Write access.

Dec 1, 2019 10:01 PM in response to ambig

Shut down your computer and reboot. See if that solves it. If not, do the following:

Control click on the library's icon and Get Info. At the bottom of the Get Info box make sure that you have read and write permission.

Also, control click on the external drive's icon and Get Info. At the bottom of the Get Info box there should be a little box that says "Ignore ownership on this volume". If the box is not checked, then check it. You will first need to click on the little lock symbol and sign in with an administer name and password.

After doing the above, see if you can open your iMovie library.

-- Rich

Dec 2, 2019 8:31 AM in response to ambig

Try creating a new empty library on your external drive. Then copy into it one of the projects from your old library and see if the new library will open. To copy the project, open both libraies and go to the projects browser view on your old library (where your projects are displayed as icons) and move your cursor over the title of one of the projects. Click on the little circle with dots in it that appears to the right of the title. A drop down menu will appear with the option to copy the project to the library that you choose. Chose the new library.

-- Rich

iMovie Library Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.