Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina bluetooth issues

I use the Apple magic mouse 2, a wireless mechanical keyboard (Thanks to the terrible butterfly keyboard) and occasionally my Bose sound link revolve with my MacBook Pro 2016. So obviously bluetooth is extremely important for my daily use. But after updating to Catalina, things have gone pretty bad. My bluetooth constantly drops connection with my mouse and reconnects after a couple of seconds. My keyboard disconnects and I have to manually remove and add it as a new device every time, and my speaker disconnects but shows up as connected in the bluetooth menu, and I can't even disconnect it and connect it again from the menu as it's totally frozen!

Bluetooth is completely dead on Catalina. Is there a fix for this or we just have to wait for 10.15.2 to hopefully fix this?!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 2:42 PM

Hello ShreyasGupta,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you've been experiencing issues with multiple Bluetooth devices disconnecting from your MacBook Pro after upgrading to macOS Catalina. I can see how inconvenient that behavior would be to experience, and you've come to the right place for help.

Since the issue occurs with multiple Bluetooth devices, I'd like to have you start by taking a look at the following support article to rule out possible interference:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

As mentioned in the section below, Bluetooth devices use a 2.4 GHz connection. If you're able to connect the Mac to a 5 GHz network instead (if it's currently connected to 2.4 GHz), that could help.

• "Reduce the number of active devices that use the same wireless frequency band. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4 GHz band, but many Wi-Fi devices can use the 5 GHz band instead. If your Wi-Fi router supports both bands, it might help to connect more of your Wi-Fi devices to the 5GHz band. Some dual-band routers manage this for you automatically."

If you've ruled out interference, I'd like to have you reset the SMC then the NVRAM on your Mac next:

1. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
  2. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 2:42 PM in response to ShreyasGupta

Hello ShreyasGupta,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you've been experiencing issues with multiple Bluetooth devices disconnecting from your MacBook Pro after upgrading to macOS Catalina. I can see how inconvenient that behavior would be to experience, and you've come to the right place for help.

Since the issue occurs with multiple Bluetooth devices, I'd like to have you start by taking a look at the following support article to rule out possible interference:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

As mentioned in the section below, Bluetooth devices use a 2.4 GHz connection. If you're able to connect the Mac to a 5 GHz network instead (if it's currently connected to 2.4 GHz), that could help.

• "Reduce the number of active devices that use the same wireless frequency band. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4 GHz band, but many Wi-Fi devices can use the 5 GHz band instead. If your Wi-Fi router supports both bands, it might help to connect more of your Wi-Fi devices to the 5GHz band. Some dual-band routers manage this for you automatically."

If you've ruled out interference, I'd like to have you reset the SMC then the NVRAM on your Mac next:

1. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
  2. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

macOS Catalina bluetooth issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.