Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod won’t update

I recently gifted my generation 5 iPod to my dad. Upon resetting the iPod an update was due. My dad downloaded the update but every time he clicks to install the update it doesn’t do anything and stays on the same page. Is there a reason it won’t update and could someone help.

Thanks!!

iPod Touch (5th Gen)

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 10:11 AM

Hello,

Please refer to the following Apple Support document.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies

Dec 5, 2019 10:45 AM in response to -help-1998-

At this point, I think you need to confirm that there is a valid update for your iPod, because as a rule, tapping the download button should complete the update automatically. It shouldn't fail.

Menus differ, according to the model of iPod, but begin by going into the Settings menu and and look for the heading General. In there should be About and look for the version number, or Software Version. On the 6th gen Touch for example, it's in Settings/General/About>Software Version and that states 12.4.3. (The heading below the software version gives the Model Name as well.)

The 5th generation iPod Touch can only install up to iOS 9.3.5.

Which version of iOS is currently on the iPod? That will give a clue about which model of iPod you have.

My iPod won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.