Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive not seen on 2 devices.

My late 2011 MacBook Pro, macOS 10.13.6, NEVER sees my new Apple SuperDrive. No icon on desktop, not listed under Devices on Finder sidebar. Plus when plugged into a USB port cannot insert any disc.

This happens intermittently also when attached to my iMac.

Have moved the plug to different USB ports on either computer. Last time that I was able to see the SuperDrive on my iMac & could load a disk heard an unhealthy clunking noise as the disc spun; unable to view or hear any discs and it was difficult ejecting the disc: had to restart the computer a couple of times before Super Drive would cough it up. ???

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 12:34 PM

Well, Superdrives do and can/will fail. If you cannot insert a disk, it (and/or its' laser) has either failed or there may be dust in it? Have you tried one of those cleaning disks? If that does not work, I'd take it to your nearest Apple store or authorized service provider to have them look at it.

By the way, the drive will not be seen (no icon) on the desktop; however, if you insert a disk, it should show the disk's icon as long as you have it set to show these in Finder Preferences > General.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2019 12:34 PM in response to Murgy1

Well, Superdrives do and can/will fail. If you cannot insert a disk, it (and/or its' laser) has either failed or there may be dust in it? Have you tried one of those cleaning disks? If that does not work, I'd take it to your nearest Apple store or authorized service provider to have them look at it.

By the way, the drive will not be seen (no icon) on the desktop; however, if you insert a disk, it should show the disk's icon as long as you have it set to show these in Finder Preferences > General.

SuperDrive not seen on 2 devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.