You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone crashing and rebooting when charging

Hi guys,

hoping I can get some help here as it's been a while and so far nothing has worked.

Since a few months I have had the following problem:

Whenever I plug in my iphone SE to the charger and then leave it, when I come back it asks me for the code instead of using touchID. This indicates that the phone has actually restarted. It got to a point now that at some point during the charging cycle the phone enters a restart loop and just keeps restarting until I unplug it. The only way to charge it now that I can find is to either completely switch it off and then connect the charger or to leave the screen on - for example by using a battery monitoring app that keeps the screen on. For some reason when I do that no reboot happens and the battery charges just fine.

On top of that earlier this week after yet another trial and reboot I noticed that my battery is now dischargin much quicker and also percentage goes down in jumps.

After some googling I've tried the usual hard reboot, full discharge and full charge cycle and restore.

Nothing has helped so far.

I've collected the analytics logs, but cannot really make heads or tails of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

C3lll

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 6:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 6:33 AM

Hi C3lll,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your iPhone SE appears to be restarting on its own while on the charger, and you are experiencing quicker battery drain. I'd like to help.

In regards to the iPhone restarting, try these steps: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly - Apple Support. Also, try charging your phone with a different charging cable, power adapter and power source, if possible. This can help rule out a charging component causing the restart and battery issues.

Apple recommends following the tips and suggestions found in this support article to optimize your device for the best battery life: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple. If you're already following these tips, continue below.

-Are you noticing any specific applications using more battery life than expected? You can review this under Settings > Battery > Battery Usage.

-When you look at the graph that is displayed under Settings > Battery, does the battery level appear to match up to the usage level? About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

Let's also check your battery health under Settings > Battery > Battery Health. Is the Maximum Capacity of your battery at 80% or lower? Do you see any alerts about needing to service your battery? Do you see any alerts about performance management being enabled? Learn more about how battery health can impact your device performance and overall battery life in this support article: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support.

If you need continued support, reach back out with responses to the above questions.

Thank you for your time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2019 6:33 AM in response to C3lll

Hi C3lll,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your iPhone SE appears to be restarting on its own while on the charger, and you are experiencing quicker battery drain. I'd like to help.

In regards to the iPhone restarting, try these steps: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly - Apple Support. Also, try charging your phone with a different charging cable, power adapter and power source, if possible. This can help rule out a charging component causing the restart and battery issues.

Apple recommends following the tips and suggestions found in this support article to optimize your device for the best battery life: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple. If you're already following these tips, continue below.

-Are you noticing any specific applications using more battery life than expected? You can review this under Settings > Battery > Battery Usage.

-When you look at the graph that is displayed under Settings > Battery, does the battery level appear to match up to the usage level? About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

Let's also check your battery health under Settings > Battery > Battery Health. Is the Maximum Capacity of your battery at 80% or lower? Do you see any alerts about needing to service your battery? Do you see any alerts about performance management being enabled? Learn more about how battery health can impact your device performance and overall battery life in this support article: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support.

If you need continued support, reach back out with responses to the above questions.

Thank you for your time.

Dec 10, 2019 1:12 PM in response to C3lll

C3lll,

That's great to hear you were able to get in touch with Apple Support directly about your concern. I would advise you to continue working with Apple Support and the recommendations they provide moving forward.

If you are no longer in touch with them at this moment, you can always reach out via this link again: Contact - Official Apple Support.

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! Take care.

Dec 10, 2019 12:27 PM in response to i_rina

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I have tried a number of different chargers and also cables including charging from usb port in a PC. The issue is still there.

Regarding your questions:

• no specific apps that I can see - the battery started discharging much more quickly since that reboot last Monday. Nothing in my behaviour has really changed and I have not installed any new apps
  • no, battery usage is much higher than usage level - it used to be similar or less before
  • Maximum capacity is showing as 82%. No alerts are there, performance management is saying: permanently disabled - how can I enable it?

Regards,

C3lll

Dec 10, 2019 12:53 PM in response to C3lll

C3lll,

Thanks for replying back with your responses.

Based on the details shared, it would be my recommendation to replace your battery in order to restore full performance to your iPhone and battery. You can find more details about battery replacement here: iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support.

You can reach out to Apple Support to discuss options using this link: Contact - Official Apple Support. Or, you can have your iPhone inspected and evaluated in person at your local Apple Store Store List - Apple Store - Apple, or Apple Authorized Service Provider Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector.

Best regards!

iphone crashing and rebooting when charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.