Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook pro 2019 16in, is it best to migrate from old macbook pro using migration assistant or use time machine back up or just start fresh? I

Got a New Macbook pro 2019 16in, is it best to migrate from old macbook pro using migration assistant or use time machine back up or just start fresh? I've played with the old one so much trying to learn how to do things over the last few years I'm not sure if some files or extensions are missing or corrupted on the old Mac, or if I need everything on it and I am not Mac or pc literate. also my I tunes is a mess.

Thanks for any help or advice.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 1:05 PM

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot up of your new machine:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

If you are past that point, Migration Assistant: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

The migration assistant is going to need a Time Machine backup.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 1:05 PM in response to samiam@7611

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot up of your new machine:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

If you are past that point, Migration Assistant: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

The migration assistant is going to need a Time Machine backup.

Dec 9, 2019 10:47 AM in response to samiam@7611

I bought the MacBook Pro 16" two weeks ago and used Migration Assistant for the first time. This was my fourth MacBook Pro and my practice in the past was to do a clean, fresh setup.

I prepared by backing everything up from my old MacBook Pro, upgrading to Catalina and then deleting the 32 bit software that won't work on Catalina. I then crossed my fingers and eyes, and ran Migration Assistant. It was fantastic! My new MacBook was an exact clone of my old one. Have been running now for two weeks without any hitches whatsoever.

Dec 16, 2019 8:31 AM in response to samiam@7611

I tried the Migration Assistant from to my MacBook Pro 16in from my MacBook Pro late 2013. Let it overnight and saw it had failed. I then used a SuperDuper clone (Catalina) and imported to my new MacBook Pro. Worked a treat. Apple has had problems in the past with the Migration Assistant computer to computer. You just have to be lucky I guess.

Dec 16, 2019 10:53 AM in response to samiam@7611

Apple's Setup Assistant along with a TimeMachine backup is the best way to move from an old computer to a new computer in most cases. Using WiFi or even Ethernet is unreliable due to timeout issues. Target Disk Mode is available if your 'old' computer is new enough but which cable to use can be confusing. There's nothing confusing about a TimeMachine backup on an external drive.

Dec 16, 2019 1:10 PM in response to samiam@7611

I have used the Migration Assistant several times in the past and it generally worked well. This last time I did lose some of my keychain passwords, which I had to address. The Apple tech I talked with said they have had some issues with Keychain, so it may not be entirely a Migration issue.

Last point. I suggest you also follow Apple's instructions for cleaning your old computer to omit all of your personal data remaining on it.

New Macbook pro 2019 16in, is it best to migrate from old macbook pro using migration assistant or use time machine back up or just start fresh? I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.