Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ongoing MS Office Issues in Catalina

Just want to document my particular flavor of problems with MS Office and the Catalina upgrade on the off chance someone else is experiencing the same thing and/or has a solution.

After upgrading to Catalina and experiencing not being able to open the MS Office suite, I updated the latter to 16.31.

MS Office now limps along, working unreliably. I do not believe I have once had all 4 Office apps working at the same time since Catalina. Outlook usually works. Word, PPoint, and Excel are hit or miss. Either I can't open them, or they open but eventually freeze up. Worse, I will Force Quit, but the image of the file that had the problem will remain on the screen, so I have to restart.

The trick to reset NVRAM seems to help, but I seem to have to do it every time I have a freeze-and-restart.

I welcome any suggestions.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 9:48 AM

Install Etrecheck, run it and take note of the performance report. Check you have at least 8GB preferably 16GB RAM.

Also shut down, then boot up holding the Shift key down til it finished booting. It could take 10 minutes. This will invoke Safe Mode and clear out some caches etc,

Boot back into normal mode

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Katharine Hansen

Install Etrecheck, run it and take note of the performance report. Check you have at least 8GB preferably 16GB RAM.

Also shut down, then boot up holding the Shift key down til it finished booting. It could take 10 minutes. This will invoke Safe Mode and clear out some caches etc,

Boot back into normal mode

Ongoing MS Office Issues in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.