Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on Macbook

Hi - Every time I get a FaceTime call my phone rings, but FaceTime on my 2017 MacBook Pro instantly shows a missed call (i.e. it never rang). Grateful for any thoughts. Thank you!!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 1:30 PM

Hey TQD,

I see that you're having some trouble with FaceTime on your Mac, because it instantly shows as a missed call.

See if this happens in safe mode as well. This can help tell us if the issue is possible login items: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Try restarting normally, and testing once more.

Also try a test user account. Creating a test user account can help determine if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Keep us updated! 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 1:30 PM in response to TQD

Hey TQD,

I see that you're having some trouble with FaceTime on your Mac, because it instantly shows as a missed call.

See if this happens in safe mode as well. This can help tell us if the issue is possible login items: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Try restarting normally, and testing once more.

Also try a test user account. Creating a test user account can help determine if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Keep us updated! 

Dec 16, 2019 6:31 AM in response to TQD

Good morning TQD!

Thanks for reaching back out again, and for trying a test user account. Since the issue didn't occur in the test account, the issue appears to be related to the settings or software in your main account. There could be a login item that's conflicting with the FaceTime app. Take a look at these steps to remove login items and see if it resolves the issue. Follow the steps for that here: If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems - Apple Support. The title of the article is for a different issue, but the primarily focus is the steps to remove the login items on your main account.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2019 5:27 PM in response to raina_b22

Hey becky_s22 - Thanks so much for replying. So, as you suggested, I created a test user account and FaceTime worked just fine on the MacBook. When I signed back in to my normal account, it started missing calls again. So I'm guessing, from your post, that it's a 3rd party software issue. Any thoughts about what I should do next? Thank you!

Dec 16, 2019 6:42 AM in response to karina184

Thank you! There were some odd login items, which I removed. I’m also embarrassed to say that I think I found the answer to my issue... and I’ll confess it here in case anyone else stumbles into the same error. I had “do not disturb” activated on my MacBook Pro, from 10pm to 9pm (ie all day). I don’t know how, as I didn’t consciously do it, but deactivating that allowed FaceTime calls to ring again. Sorry for the unintended misdirection! Thanks for the help!

FaceTime on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.