Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo editing on MacBook Air

I just upgraded to an iPhone 11. Photos taken with this phone are automatically transferred to my MacBook Air. That's all fine. BUT, when I try to edit these photos on my Mac, nothing happens when I click the "Edit" button at the top right. For all other photos in my Photo Library (taken with either my previous iPhone or my digital camera), when I click on "Edit," there's a drop down list of editing options. Please help!

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 4:41 AM

Which system is running on your Mac? is OS X 10.11 still valid? Or did you update to a newer version?

Your iPhone may have been set to take the photos in the space saving HEIF format. A Mac with OS X 10.11 cannot edit photos in this format. You need macOS 10.13 High Sierra or a newer version to handle the new image format or change the settings on the iPhone to use a more compatible format.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 4:41 AM in response to Colby75

Which system is running on your Mac? is OS X 10.11 still valid? Or did you update to a newer version?

Your iPhone may have been set to take the photos in the space saving HEIF format. A Mac with OS X 10.11 cannot edit photos in this format. You need macOS 10.13 High Sierra or a newer version to handle the new image format or change the settings on the iPhone to use a more compatible format.

See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Photo editing on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.