Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Prompt for password for an account I dont know

Hi, just recently updated to 13.3 on my iphone 11 pro, now for some reason I am being prompted for a password for an apple ID i dont know - anyone else experiencing something similar. The phone is about a week old.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:53 PM

I have been searching for an answer for this for a while, best I found was if you have ever in the dark and distant past downloaded music as a torrent or anywhere else from someone else who purchased it and shared it with you, if you go into your songs list on the iTunes (music app) on your PC or Mac and sort it by "purchased" you will see the rogue email address and delete these songs, it should cure it.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 5:53 PM in response to larrynz

I have been searching for an answer for this for a while, best I found was if you have ever in the dark and distant past downloaded music as a torrent or anywhere else from someone else who purchased it and shared it with you, if you go into your songs list on the iTunes (music app) on your PC or Mac and sort it by "purchased" you will see the rogue email address and delete these songs, it should cure it.

Dec 26, 2019 12:27 PM in response to larrynz

Further to this, issue has returned with a vengeance, so much so I have had to turn the watch off on some occasions . Been in contact with two separate 2nd tier support agents. One just gave up, the second was “sick” and I haven’t heard back since, granted this is now the holiday period. Neither can explain why I get this random prompt, and cannot address my security concerns.

Jan 2, 2020 3:26 PM in response to 4NDY17

I put a post up yesterday and was redirected to this post. I have a new 11 pro max, with a new series 5 watch - same as you guys getting requests to some unrecognised Apple ID - mine is for “xxxxxxxx@mac.com”. Am very interested in any resolution you guys come up with - it drove me insane yesterday the amount of times it requested a password.

Jan 12, 2020 12:43 PM in response to larrynz

Hi. Please let us know if you get a fix for this.

im having the same issue but mine is asking me for two different id’s.

I thought I fixed it a week ago by going through my entire list of apps that were ever downloaded, and ‘hiding’ the old ones I don’t use (since you can’t delete them from your account).

Then I reset my password, I reset warnings (when plugged into iTunes/finder) I have edited settings in my Apple ID like removing or deauthorizing computers etc. I deleted any app that I wasn’t using that I have had for a long time from my phone just incase. It stopped asking me and I thought I fixed it... then it came back yesterday and would not go away, every time I hit cancel on my watch, it popped up on my phone, I click not now then it comes back on my watch... it was relentless!!

but it always starts on my watch first. I don’t know if that’s just a coincidence or it’s directly related to my watch.

my phone has recently been backed up to iTunes, reset and restored (trying to resolve other iOS 13 bugs) prior to that I had reset all settings on my phone and set them all back how I like them manually (again, trying to fix bugs). This iOS 13 is horrendous for bugs, and considering we aren’t receiving any more updates lately it seems Apple is happy with the current version? I have to restart my phone to update apps, if I try manually it just doesn’t work, I tried to download an app yesterday and when I clicked get, the little wheel just spun around for ages, wouldn’t even prompt for my Touch ID, closed and tried again, but I had to restart my phone to get it to work... I’m not sure if that is related to this issue as in the phone is confused as to who’s account is on the phone?

sorry for the long post, just wanted to add every fix I’ve tried so far

Jan 12, 2020 1:25 PM in response to 4NDY17

Not yet. I’m going on holidays at the end of the week so I’ll probably do that when I get back, but resetting the settings was bad enough, I swear my keyboard had to relearn the way I type/talk because autocorrect was terrible after I did that. But you’re right, that would be the last attempt before getting a whole new Apple ID and starting from scratch. Which I don’t really care if I have to pay for things again, but I don’t want to loose cloud data associated with each app, subscriptions and any apps like pages, numbers and keynote that I received with my Mac mini under my current Apple ID. Not to mention my Apple Music subscription, that will have to start all over again. And since Apple don’t allow transferring between Apple id’s, I’m screwed there.

Random Prompt for password for an account I dont know

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.