Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" overheating with external monitor

My brand new MacBook Pro 16" is overheating when connected to an external monitor. CPUs are normally around 50°C, but with an external monitor (HDMI over USB-C) they go to 90-100°C. The fans are running loud constantly and the bottom of the laptop is very hot when you put your hand on it. If you disconnect the monitor, it cools down.

Already tried a different HDMI-USB-C adapter, different HDMI cable and different monitor.

I hope this isn't normal behavior?

My specs:

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1 TB Flash Storage

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 7:41 AM

the problem is caused by the gpu ramping up to 18 watts as soon as a monitor is plugged (it should stay at around 5watts idle..), still waiting apple to solve this software bug, here's a thread that explains the problem better https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/performance-degrading-on-sustained-workload-w-external-monitor-mbp-16.2216009/

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 7:41 AM in response to klaasgeldof1

the problem is caused by the gpu ramping up to 18 watts as soon as a monitor is plugged (it should stay at around 5watts idle..), still waiting apple to solve this software bug, here's a thread that explains the problem better https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/performance-degrading-on-sustained-workload-w-external-monitor-mbp-16.2216009/

Jan 9, 2020 6:50 AM in response to klaasgeldof1

I have got the same issue with MacBook Pro16".

It's going hot, when I connect some external devices. Especially 2 external monitors it's going very hot and the battery is empty in less than 2 hours.

When I'm using my old macbook 2015 with the same devices, I don't have any issues. I already booked an appointment on Genius Bar.

My specs:

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1 TB Flash Storage

Feb 7, 2020 9:13 PM in response to klaasgeldof1

I was having the same issue, but it wasn't as extreme as OP's.

Connected via a usbc to HDMI cable, to a 2k monitor (Asus PG279q to be specific)

Temperature was looking at 60 -65 c when idle.

However, recently I switched to dell u3219q (4k), connected via the usbc cable that came with the box, temperature is around 45 to 50, sometimes bump to 60 then drop back real fast, which is reasonable for the load imo.

My spec: 16 inch base model, 5300m, i7, 16gb

Previously, I thought it was a software issue, but now I suspect there might be something with the way how the hardware works.

All temperature readings based on iStat menu.

For those experiencing the heating issue with external monitor, buying a usbc monitor might solve your concern.

my 2 cents

However, one more thing worth noting is that my gpu consumption has been sitting at 97% to 100% after connected to the 4k display, could be due to the fact that 5300m only has 4gb vram.\

Anyways, there is definitely a lot more apple can do with Catalina and the 16.

MacBook Pro 16" overheating with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.