Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block cookies is off but being limited by bank

Just downloaded the new Catalina 10.15.2 and now I am not able to get to my bill pay at my bank.

I have reviewed the setting in preferences. privacy and everything is unchecked. Did something change in this new release?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 5:55 AM

25 replies

Dec 17, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Donnaspride

Hey there Donnaspride,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having some issues loading certain website on Safari after updating your Mac. I’ll be happy to help.

If you’re having issues loading a specific website on Safari, you’ll want to go through the steps in the following links to help with this:

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

If you can’t open a website in Safari on Mac

You can also check to see if this works in safe mode or a new user account as well. This can isolate and possibly resolve this:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

I hope this helps.

Dec 21, 2019 4:36 PM in response to Donnaspride

Hi Donnaspride,

Knowing you can still load the website in another browser definitely helps isolate the issue. Did you test this in a safe boot or new user to see if it worked there. This can further isolate the issue. You may also want to see if you can load this in a private browser as well:

Browse in private in Safari on Mac

If that doesn’t help, use the following link to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this with you:

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers.

Jan 3, 2020 6:57 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, I have the same problem, and I’ve written to Safari Feedback. I also got into a chat with Apple Support, and that was an interesting—and frustrating—experience that dragged on for an hour or more. I ended up chatting with two support agents and two “senior advisors.” If any of these people knew that this problem is a “known issue,” not one of them let on. (Maybe they haven’t seen the memo ... ?) They led me through all the obvious steps in Safari Preferences. We tweaked a few other things—cleared all history, then closed Safari and relaunched—but no joy. I use Parallels/Windows 10, and the Microsoft Edge browser let me do everything I needed to do without complaint. I now know that if I need to pay bills, I have to use Windows 10 and Edge ... at least until Apple fixes the problem. (I know Chrome, Firefox, and other third-party browsers will do the job, but Edge is right at hand.)

Jan 10, 2020 5:33 PM in response to dominic23

I'm not having the same experience with the Safari Technology Preview. I downloaded and installed it, and "About Safari" shows that I'm running Version 13.0.4 (15608.4.9.1.3). I went to my bank's web site and tried using the bill payer. No joy. I get the same message about cookies. I checked my Safari preference >> Privacy tab, and "Block All Cookies" is NOT checked. The OP (Donnaspride) reports here that Safari Technology Preview did the trick. Any suggestions? Is there something else I need to examine and change?

Jan 16, 2020 12:47 PM in response to Donnaspride

Does turning the following preference off (if it is on), work to get banking working?

System Preferences {not safari prefs}/Security and Privacy/Advertising/Limit Ad Tracking

You have to scroll to the bottom to see "Advertising" at the bottom of the side list.

I rolled back to a Cabon Copy Cloaner nightly Snapshot state, as soon as I lost banking and giveaway entering in Mojave. And I don't want to install the same update again, unless I hear if the above preference change works.

Jan 16, 2020 8:42 PM in response to dominic23

Well ... I just now learned something very valuable (and I'm a little embarrassed). I thought all along that by downloading Safari Technology Review, I'd be running said STR whenever I launched Safari. I went into the Applications folder and saw STR and my current Safari app as separate applications. So I double-clicked on STR and navigated to my banking web site. After logging in, I found that (after changing the settings that we've discussed here), my bill-payer applet DOES in fact work!

So the answer—for now—is to use Safari Technology Review, not Safari. Whew! Thanks everyone for the tip on STR!

Block cookies is off but being limited by bank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.