Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro failing to wake from sleep and other issues

Hello,

I have been having issues with my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro. The computer fails to read the hard drive when first booting, an issue that is solved with a kernel panic. After it panics, it boots fine. Also, most times when I put the computer to sleep, it fails to wake up and requires a full shutdown to get it working again. This is not an issue with the hard drive because it was replaced and still has the issue. I have attached a log report.

Any help solving the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 7:56 PM

Did you replace the internal hard drive cable when you upgraded to an SSD? The hard drive cable in the 13" MBPro (mid-2012) has an extremely high failure rate especially after an SSD upgrade. You can test this theory by removing the SSD and booting the SSD externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, dock, enclosure.

It would really help if you posted the actual Kernel Panic reports.

From the log you posted it seems like it is taking too long to create a hibernation file which could be due to a software issue. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Some SSDs have issues waking from sleep so you may want to uncheck "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 7:56 PM in response to Dbux_

Did you replace the internal hard drive cable when you upgraded to an SSD? The hard drive cable in the 13" MBPro (mid-2012) has an extremely high failure rate especially after an SSD upgrade. You can test this theory by removing the SSD and booting the SSD externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, dock, enclosure.

It would really help if you posted the actual Kernel Panic reports.

From the log you posted it seems like it is taking too long to create a hibernation file which could be due to a software issue. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Some SSDs have issues waking from sleep so you may want to uncheck "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences.

Dec 16, 2019 5:23 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the reply!

I replaced the hard drive because I thought it had failed. The computer froze while I was submitting college applications and so I hard rebooted, and that resulted in the flashing folder. Because of this I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. I tried this past weekend to use an external enclosure to see if the original was actually dead, and miraculously it worked perfectly. I was even able to boot from it. I had not considered a hardware fault because of the fact that the issue was fixed with software.

I will post a kernel panic report the next time I get one.

I have attached a report from EtreCheck.

The option you described was already turned off.

Thank you again for your help.

Dec 16, 2019 5:36 PM in response to Dbux_

Your EtreCheck report looks good. Since you've verified your old hard drive appears to work when booting externally, then I think you will find the hard drive cable is the source of your problems. Luckily the cable is inexpensive and easily replaced.

FYI, you can access your Kernel Panic logs by using the Console app. I'm not at a Mac at the moment, but the Kernel Panics logs can possibly be found in one of the Diagnostic folders on the left pane of the Console app or in the "/var/logs" or "/private/var/logs" folder on the left pane of the Console app. The Kernel Panic log names begin with "kernel" and end in ".panic" with the date & time as part of the file name.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro failing to wake from sleep and other issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.