Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4k Dolby Vision with Onkyo TX-NR686 and TX-NR696

I am having a similar issue as the one here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250264345 I have tried the various things discussed in the post and then some.

I have ruled out the cables and the TV since connected directly it works perfect. I have contacted Onkyo and they blame Apple, which I am still not sure about since their device would seem to be causing the issue. I first purchased the TX-NR686 and never could get it to pass Dolby Vision.

After reading the various post and seeing where it was fixed for some I decided to cut my looses and exchange it for an Onkyo TX-NR696 since it is the 2019 version and the product sheet listed "A new HDMI board features larger, stronger, better-finished grounds and shortened signal paths for clean and accurate A/V signals."

I just knew this would fix the issue, it did not. Any suggestions or are others still having this issue?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 2:41 PM

You need to set the HDMI inputs to enhanced mode. Please the following link. https://www.onkyo.com/manual/sup/upd/hdmi_4k_onk.pdf. For my receiver, I only needed to set it on Input BD/DVD and it set to enhanced for all the inputs.

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 19, 2020 9:09 PM in response to Gene2019

Exactly the same issue for me. I have the TX NR656 which DOES pass Dolby Vision. I just purchased a Amazon Firestick 4K solely for the purpose of testing this. The 656 passes the DV fine from the Firestick. And, DV is passed fine from the ATV directly to my Visio PX75-G1. I’m considering a change to a Denon AVR, but, would rather stick with the 656 for a while longer.

Apr 15, 2020 7:23 AM in response to mtdukes

Thank you so much for this. I've had this setup with a TX-NR686 that I bought in December and have been fighting this problem for months. I could get the Dolby Vision 60Hz if I went direct from my Apple TV to my LG TV (OLED65C9PUA) and then used the eARC from the TV to my receiver, but could only get Dolby Vision 30Hz when I went Apple TV -> Receiver -> TV. As soon as I changed the inputs to enhanced mode, I got 60Hz through the receiver! Honestly, you have no idea how happy that made me, thanks for posting this!

AppleTV 4k Dolby Vision with Onkyo TX-NR686 and TX-NR696

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.