Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Dolby Vision through my Onkyo TX-NR787 after latest update.

I am unable to pass Dolby Vision through my receiver after this last update. Everything worked before the update and my other equipment, Oppo 203 and Firestick 4K, passes Dolby Vision.

Anybody else having this issue?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 6:13 AM

65 replies

Mar 30, 2019 8:42 AM in response to giordano243

I'm using 18gbps cables right now, but just ordered 48 gbps cables to see if that changes things.

The extra bandwidth should stay unused, as an HDMI 2.0 port will never output more than 18 Gbps of actual data. HDMI devices will have to follow the specs. If the new cable works where the previous one did not, then the issue was with something else than the bandwidth capacity.

Mar 30, 2019 10:55 AM in response to giordano243

That’s more for higher speed

There’s V2.1 now and you should make sure to use an RF-shielded HDMI cable to avoid any interference and don’t get one that’s too long either, the longer the cable run is, the likelier it is that the wiring itself will act as a low-grade antenna, picking up RF frequencies.

Not to say any of this will resolve your problems.

Mar 31, 2019 9:44 AM in response to Bguzmanjr

Hello again. I am still having this issue.

Like I mentioned previously, the issue seems specific to my Apple TV 4K and my Onkyo receiver (Onkyo NR-TX676). I picked up 48gbps cables just to be sure. From my Apple TV 4K to the Onkyo, Dolby Vision is never an option since the last update (worked flawlessly for months before). From Apple TV 4K directly to my TV, Dolby Vision works without issue. Turned on Dolby Vision at that point and plugged back into my Onyko and it won't pass anything. Needed to hook it back up to my TV and change out of Dolby Vision in order for the HDMI to even handshake on my Onkyo again.

I have an LG UBK90 UHD Bluray player hooked up to my Onkyo too. This passed Dolby Vision without issue. I hooked up my Apple TV 4K to the HDMI cable that my LG UBK90 was using and the exact same issue is present. This means it's an issue with Apple TV and the Onkyo device.

I have also posted about this on reddit's apple TV subreddit and it looks like quite a few other people with similar devices are having the same issue. Here is a link to that forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/b78faf/apple_tv_4k_dolby_vision_suddenly_stopped_working/

I have encouraged them to come and post on this thread too.

Is there any way we can notify Apple about this issue so we can get it fixed? If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Mar 31, 2019 4:04 PM in response to Bguzmanjr

Not saying Apple tv didn’t change things. The updates admittedly mess with stuff and it’s a case of figuring out a solution.

@ giordano243

There was a firmware update January 16 for TX-NR787 Open Source Software Download.

Did you install it? You said it’s not been updated. It’s possible they could soon issue another to fix Apple’s recent update

https://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php

No Dolby Vision through my Onkyo TX-NR787 after latest update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.