Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing & Itunes

I just had a ridiculously frustrating conversation with an Apple Rep and as such am seeking guidance from the community.

My wife and I have an iMac, an iPad and each have an iPhone X. The imac, under my login, has a rather large collection of music that I've purchased and ripped from CDs or bought and downloaded from various services.

I can access the music via my iphone and ipad from anywhere in the world and have iTunes Match enabled and share my itunes via iCloud. I also created and enabled family sharing which I assumed would allow my wife to access the music from her iPhone. That doesn't seem to be the case.

The rep from apple insisted I had to pay for the streaming service which infuriated me... why should I have to pay to share with my family what I already paid for? Finally her work around was to have me login as myself on my wife's iPhone's iTunes to access the music.

This seems like a terrible way of doing it. Does family sharing solve this problem? Is there a better way of sharing music from itunes with my family members?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 8:53 AM

Mephistofales,

Family Sharing allows members to download the purchases of the others as they wish. It does not automatically make your whole library available to the others. See more information in here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201085

Then you can decide what works best in your situation.

Similar questions

1 reply

Family Sharing & Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.