Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 10.5” Smart Keyboard Not Working/Intermittently Working

For the last 6 months my Smart Keyboard has not been functioning 100% of the time. Actually, it’s closer to 40-50% of the time, rendering my iPad Pro virtually unreliable and inconsistently useful. I know others have had this same issue, but Apple has turned me away at my recent Genius Bar trip due to being outside the warranty. This is clearly a defect, as my Smart Keyboard is in seemingly perfect condition, but functionally having this issue. Any ideas, other than cleaning the connectors? I’ve tried a different 10.5” Smart Keyboard and it works perfectly, so clearly not the iPad.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 6:46 PM

21 replies

Mar 10, 2020 12:02 PM in response to sontini2751

Ranting here does nothing

No one from Apple is here.

I and others are just product users here, just like you!

No one of any responsibility from Apple participates nor reads anything here in these user to user Apple product technical support communities.

If you truly want Apple to hear your complaints, you are more free to call them per the links I have left multiple times and above your last post or use the iPad feedback link which I will post for the umpteenth time here, again.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the

data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with

any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware/reminded and starts or keeps working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Good Luck to You!

Jan 18, 2020 7:41 PM in response to TJabbour

TJabbour,

I have had the same issue on the same iPad. My keyboard was replaced a little more than a year ago and so is used but seemingly in fine working condition. I just started having this hiccup where the keyboard doesn’t work 80% of the time starting a couple days ago. I am not sure what to do. Connectors seem fine. Everything seems fine from the outside. A restart of the iPad didn’t help. I am with you on this!

Interestingly, the post indicates (on top right) that I wrote this from iPhone. It was definitely written from my iPad. I’m typing on the screen right now. Maybe there’s a glitch in the software where it thinks it’s running iOS instead of iPadOS and accordingly renders the keyboard useless.

Mar 10, 2020 11:48 AM in response to MichelPM

These ridiculously cold and rude replies by Apple are less than helpful. It’s almost like Apple could care less. But that’s been their attitude for years now. They really are full of themselves, but the reality is their uniqueness and popularity is fading. And it’s all due to this pretentious, holier than thou attitude. Apple, please get over yourselves and start correcting some of these problems which are affecting a lot of your customers. Eventually they’re going to explore your competitors.

Mar 10, 2020 12:16 PM in response to TJabbour

Since my last post was removed and considered a rant by Apple I’ve had to revise it. I have the same issue. I have an iPad Pro 10.5 smart keyboard and pen. I too was turned away at the Genius Bar when I asked about this issue. They were not aware of it and updating the operating system does not work. Therefore I seem to have a useless keyboard that is an Apple product but yet is it not recognized by the iPad which is also an Apple product. In my previous reply to this post I indicated that I’ve run into a brick wall and didn’t get a helpful response from Apple. This is not a rant, this is a fact. I feel that there’s no solution and they are not working on a solution to address a very common problem with a lot of their customers. If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this without buying a new keyboard I would greatly appreciate it.

Mar 10, 2020 6:18 PM in response to calum276

I get what you mean Calum276. I will say, the new iPad pros with the smart folio keyboard have a different design. The connector points in the back are bigger and because of the inherent design of them – that you don’t take off the back of the case and move it back-and-forth all the time because it is a stationary part of the case as with the ones we are talking about here – I think they last longer. A pretty prominent pattern I see in Apple stuff is that they improve designs where issues are obvious (I bet someone could disagree with me and keep in mind this is a bit subjective) - and also that doesn’t mean that they’ve gone back to change the design of these iPads and the Smart Keyboard which is a bummer for sure -(though they did make a new design that is available today), but in general that’s a pattern I see (e.g. newer Apple Watch, newest Beats Solo Pro headphones etc). Add onto that, no one I know with a smart folio keyboard has who’s had an issue with the smart FOLIO keyboard. Yet....

Apr 4, 2020 9:36 PM in response to TJabbour

My Smart Keyboard is still working at times, however, I have found that it is unreliable. One solution that seems to be having success is stabilising the iPad and keyboard within the box that it is sold in. If you do not have this possibly build a support tray to fit around the iPad and keyboard. It is not a great solution but beats spending $199 AUD on a new keyboard which is the only solution that Apple offered.

My keyboard began having problems at two years old which the Apple tech support person thought was acceptable length of time. I, however, disagree. This product clearly has a design fault. Although I have enjoyed using the keyboard, especially as I have reasonable typing skills, I would now not recommend it to anyone. M

Apr 6, 2020 7:00 PM in response to TJabbour

Rather than join in with the same complaint (and I continue to experience this same issue with my iPad Pro 10.5 failing to recognize the Smart Keyboard, especially following iOS updates), try the following:

1) go to System settings > General > Keyboards and see if there is a menu item for Hardware Keyboard

2) if there is, it should be listing the Smart Keyboard with option to change the layout;

3) change the layout from Automatic to U.S. or other keyboard layout that you want.

This will improve connectivity but it will NOT fix the problem 100% of the time.

If you do NOT see a menu item for Hardware Keyboard, press the power key to restart you iPad without having the iPad connected to the charger. Once the iPad is back up and running, check the System Settings again for Keyboards to confirm that the iPad is now recognizing that a Hardware Keyboard is attached. Make sure that you select the keyboard layout that you want instead of the default “Automatic”.

You may also need to use a microfiber cloth to clean the connectors on the bottom of the iPad Pro and on the Smart Keyboard.

Our Apple Genius Bar guy told me that this was likely a software glitch, and I would need to await an update to fix it permanently. That was a year ago. We tried a new Smart Keyboard in the store at the time of my reporting the issue, and using a new keyboard did not fix the problem.

However, the method I outline above has worked for iOS 13.4 until another failure occurs. I use my iPad Pro extensively everyday, and now I have this issue about once a day whereas previously I would average 10 times that amount of trouble.

Hope this helps some of you.

Apr 14, 2020 10:43 AM in response to TJabbour

I have an IPad Pro 12.9 Keyboard AME which is only working 1% of the time at best. My IPad Pro was also not responding to my touch all the time. I updated my IPad and it still was not responding. They set up a service time with a 3rd party since all apple stores are closed. I spoke with Apple support yesterday and they said my warranty was over for both items. I called again today to try to figure out which smart keypad I can replace this one with and I would have to also get rid of the tech21 impact clear case I purchased and replace both with a Logitech Slim Combo Keyboard Case for IPad Pro 12.9” (2nd gen) for $199.99. The person in sales I was chatting with asked if the customer service rep at Apple care offered to replace the smart keypad with an after warranty replacement. I was cut off after being on hold for another 30 min. I googled how long is the warranty is on my keypad and articles from May 2017 Apple extended the warranty on the smart keypads to 3 years. Now I have to call them yet again.

iPad Pro 10.5” Smart Keyboard Not Working/Intermittently Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.