Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple replace trackpad which isn't physically clicking after expiration of warranty (because it's a manufacture defect)

I have a MacBook Air 2017 which I've been using for 2 years and I'm pretty satisfied with it but suddenly yesterday when I opened my Mac and tried to drag I realised I'm not feeling the clicking sound. (TAP TO CLICK WAS ENABLED) My MacBook is able to scroll and get input of mouseX and mouseY but it isn't physically clicking which I need not explain is a nightmare. My warranty has expired but what I suspect here is that this isn't due to mishandling but maybe the battery swelling (which is pretty not so probable) or due to the trackpad's adhesive or batteries placement being affected. None of these is the user's fault so what will be the solution? How much will it cost? I live in INDIA. Do apple repair manufacture defects for free after expiration of warranty.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 7:52 PM

Take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined. If the battery is swelling, then there is a possibility it could be replaced for free under a free repair program. Apple does not publicly acknowledge all of their free repair programs.

I find a lot of trackpads get a lot of dirt, crumbs, or even liquid residue beneath the trackpad which can cause them to jam and lose physical movement. Removing the trackpad and cleaning the edges of the trackpad and the trackpad opening in the top case will usually fix this issue.

Manufacturers do not usually repair hardware for free outside of warranty even if it is a manufacturing defect, unless the defect is widespread. As someone else mentioned sometimes things just break.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2019 7:52 PM in response to Ralsei17

Take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined. If the battery is swelling, then there is a possibility it could be replaced for free under a free repair program. Apple does not publicly acknowledge all of their free repair programs.

I find a lot of trackpads get a lot of dirt, crumbs, or even liquid residue beneath the trackpad which can cause them to jam and lose physical movement. Removing the trackpad and cleaning the edges of the trackpad and the trackpad opening in the top case will usually fix this issue.

Manufacturers do not usually repair hardware for free outside of warranty even if it is a manufacturing defect, unless the defect is widespread. As someone else mentioned sometimes things just break.

Will Apple replace trackpad which isn't physically clicking after expiration of warranty (because it's a manufacture defect)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.