Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the Photos app have to update the library every time I open it? It is very time consuming and is rendering the Mac platform impractable especially when time is critical.

Why does the Photos app have to update the library every time I open it? It is very time consuming and is rendering the Mac platform impractable especially when time is critical.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 3:45 PM

Photos needs to update the library after a system update. Photos is also updating the library or repairing the library, if the library got damaged or is on an incompatible volume. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external volume?

Also, when you are using your Photos Library from a different user account, the permissions need to be fixed, when you are switching between users.

Or are you using iCloud Photos? Then the library needs to be updated after syncing with iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 3:45 PM in response to Bleutz

Photos needs to update the library after a system update. Photos is also updating the library or repairing the library, if the library got damaged or is on an incompatible volume. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it on an external volume?

Also, when you are using your Photos Library from a different user account, the permissions need to be fixed, when you are switching between users.

Or are you using iCloud Photos? Then the library needs to be updated after syncing with iCloud.

Dec 22, 2019 4:05 PM in response to Bleutz

When and where does the "updating" message appear?

Are you seeing it in special Photos views, like "People" or before Photos is opening the library?

You wrote "This behavior has been presistant since the last system upgrade."

Did you just upgrade to Catalina? Are you referring to the "Update"message below the "Photos" view (Days, Months, Years")?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.