Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error playing purchased movies on apple TV

Dear All,

Recently Apple TV will not play movies. I choose my film, it plays for approx 2 minutes and 40 seconds before displaying ‘an error occurred loading this content’. Restarting the movie gets the same error message at the same point.

I have the latest software, have restarted the device, have signed out and in to iTunes and iCloud on Apple TV. I can stream Netflix and trailers with no buffering so do not expect it is bandwidth related.

Any tips greatly appreciated as I have two small children at home who’s like to watch their Christmas films.

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 5:15 AM

9 replies

Dec 24, 2019 10:44 AM in response to DarrenK

That does usually come back to the network

Netflix adapts to the connection whereas iTunes content is fixed and it will either not start or encounter an issue during playback.

Check current connection using speedtest

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - network)

If on wifi try ethernet

To see a current status of the network get a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Test on another network

Dec 26, 2019 8:29 AM in response to vazandrew

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply. I can advise the following.

My Apple TV is and always has been connected via Ethernet.

Immediately after having the issues with Apple TV I was able to stream the same film from my MacBook Pro to my tv over WiFi and hdmi.

my Speedtest comes back with fast readings and my DNS is auto.

Ive been streaming movies from iTunes a lot lately and never had any buffering. This is now the third day of the same problems. Always at the exact same point in the film.

Im really at a loss as to what to the next? But any suggestions welcomed.

darren.

Dec 27, 2019 4:14 PM in response to vazandrew

This problem gets stranger and stranger.

I tried streaming other films from my Apple TV movies this evening. Hunger games for example. And it played completely fine including rapid fast forwarding and playing.

When i I went back to check the movies which wouldn’t play (home alone 1 and 2, Harry Potter 3) they all stopped working at exactly the same point as before, 2 minutes and 50 seconds in.

Most odd. It’s as though they’ve become corrupted?

Error playing purchased movies on apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.