Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"utility" will damage your computer and you should remove it to the trash

Hi,

since I updated to macOs Catalina I get the pop-up: "utility" will damage your computer and you should remove it to the trash". If I click remove it to the trash it just pops up again. I also got this notification of spchlpr & maftask but I was able to remove those. However, I am still stuck with the "utility" pop-up. Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks!!!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 5:50 AM

Still waiting for an Etrecheck report from you and from the original owner of the thread.

Bottom line is Flashplayer is dead and most flashplayer "updates" are malware carriers. I fell for one a year ago.

I don't often link to non Apple sources but this is interesting

https://macreports.com/will-damage-your-computer-you-should-move-it-to-the-trash-fix/

Malwarebytes free app will clean it, and Etrecheck will point to it. no need to go deleting stuff you don't like the look of.

Finally Avast (and others) has been known to flag perfectly good stuff with the same message.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 5:50 AM in response to sjgirl

Still waiting for an Etrecheck report from you and from the original owner of the thread.

Bottom line is Flashplayer is dead and most flashplayer "updates" are malware carriers. I fell for one a year ago.

I don't often link to non Apple sources but this is interesting

https://macreports.com/will-damage-your-computer-you-should-move-it-to-the-trash-fix/

Malwarebytes free app will clean it, and Etrecheck will point to it. no need to go deleting stuff you don't like the look of.

Finally Avast (and others) has been known to flag perfectly good stuff with the same message.

Jan 3, 2020 12:09 AM in response to dkashner

"...I can’t find any Mac cleanup pro on my computer ..."

Good. Rubbish apps like "pro cleaners" and security or A:V apps have no place on Macs. They can be difficult to remove, like gum on your shoe.

Two exceptions

• Malwarebytes free edition
  • Etrecheck

both endorsed by the forum members.

Run both

Once clean you will be quite safe with Mac's Gatekeeper, the inbuilt antivirus and the inbuilt system integrity protection.

Dec 29, 2019 8:31 AM in response to poncan

Have you installed something called Mac Cleanup Pro?

If so, you need to remove it immediately. That there is your issue.

Please delete these folders from your computer:

/Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Application Support/mcpnw

/Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Application Support/mcp

Sorry, I have family over now... Have to go make nice and get away from the office.

Just get rid of that program and all bits associated with it.

Do a search for anything called MCP or similar. Use the "System Files" option as shown (attached) by choosing "other" and adding it to your search parameters. This will allow you to search within the system for anything related to MCP. Ironic that it be called MCP (Master Control Program, from Tron movie).

Look for the date range when you got that program. You have multiple dates shown in your log file, and dig all parts of that software out of your system.

I can be more help later but have to go. I'll check back later.

Good luck.

Dec 26, 2019 7:30 AM in response to Popsbetrippin95

I see. So this is a file downloaded from the internet.

It seems you have something that is trying to startup, but MacOS is preventing it. However you have acquired this item, MacOS tries to delete it every time it spawns a new instance of itself. Cool.

So let's find out what it is. Get the latest EtreCheck from the Apple App Store. Run it and have a look at what it finds.

Dec 28, 2019 1:47 AM in response to Drexus

So I have this same issue. I downloaded the EtreCheck app suggested in previous comment and ran a scan. It told me nothing about the 'utility' pop up, but said I should pay $20.99 to enhance my interactive interface. Will this solve the issue, or simple tell me a potential solution for $20.99? I'm concerned that if I pay, it won't tell me and i'll just waste my money.

Dec 28, 2019 2:12 AM in response to PopeDani

You don't have to pay to get the info you need. The results will be in bottom item in the left hand column called "Report".

Second to that text report, you can use Apple's System Report. Go to: About this Mac/Overview/System Report.

There you can click on the "Applications" option in the left menu under Software. A list will build in the top right pane. Sort the final list by "Obtained from" and you will see most of the apps are from Apple, a few from "Identified Developer", a handful from "Mac App Store" and the rest from "Unknown".

Highlight all the ones labeled "Unknown" and a full list will appear in the lower right pane. Copy and paste that list here so we can review these unknown items.

Dec 29, 2019 6:48 AM in response to Drexus

Cocoa-AppleScript Applet:

Version: 1.0

Obtained from: Unknown

Last Modified: 12/17/19, 2:37 PM

Location: /Library/Application Support/Script Editor/Templates/Cocoa-AppleScript Applet.app

Kind: 64-bit

GetAppInstall:

Last Modified: 8/16/18, 9:20 AM

helpermcp:

Version: 3.0.3

Last Modified: 12/12/19, 4:30 AM

Location: /Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Application Support/mcp/helpermcp.app

helpernmcp:

Version: 3.0.5

Last Modified: 12/23/19, 3:34 AM

Location: /Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Application Support/mcpnw/helpernmcp.app

HP ENVY 5660 series:

Version: 15

Last Modified: 8/24/19, 9:22 PM

Location: /Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Printers/HP ENVY 5660 series.app

mcpuninstall:

Version: 1.0.0

Last Modified: 5/26/19, 4:58 PM

Location: /Users/renetgoupillaud/Library/Application Support/mcp/mcpuninstall.app

Sdrive:

Version: 2.5.12

Last Modified: 6/9/18, 2:25 PM

Signed by: Developer ID Application: Seagate Technologies LLC, Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Get Info String:

Seagate Recovery Suite:

Version: 3.1.27.0

Last Modified: 5/1/18, 6:18 PM

Signed by: Seagate Technology LLC, DigiCert SHA2 Assured ID Code Signing CA, DigiCert Assured ID Root CA

Get Info String: Created by INDT

WDDesktop:

Version: 2.1.0

Last Modified: 10/25/19, 1:24 AM

X-Rite Device Services:

Version: 2.4.0.1

Last Modified: 4/6/19, 8:43 AM

Location: /Library/Application Support/X-Rite/Frameworks/XRiteDevice.framework/Versions/B/Resources/X-Rite Device Services.app

Kind: 32/64-bit

Dec 30, 2019 7:07 PM in response to hoho_ba

Hoho_ba and sjgirl: Please do the following:

• Open up "About this Mac" and select "System Report..."

• In the left pane is a long list of items under 3 categories: Hardware, Network, and Software. Select "Applications" under Software

• The Application list will appear (after a wait) in the top pane. Sort this list by "Obtained From"

• Scroll to the end of the list to reveal all applications shown as "Unknown"

• Select that list of items and paste this list here

I will see what might be causing issues from that list.

Dec 30, 2019 8:15 PM in response to Drexus

Atlas:

Version: 11.2.202.228

Last Modified: 10/1/17, 10:29 PM

Get Info String: Adobe Flash Player   11.2 r202 Copyright 1996-2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated and its licensors. All rights reserved.

Cocoa-AppleScript Applet:

Last Modified: 9/16/19, 11:41 PM

Location: /Library/Application Support/Script Editor/Templates/Cocoa-AppleScript Applet.app

Crash Reporter:

Last Modified: 3/11/17, 9:28 PM

Location: /Users/bertitavilchez/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/Frameworks/Breakpad.framework/Versions/A/Resources/crash_report_sender.app

EPSON XP-430 Series:

Version: 11.4

Last Modified: 7/25/16, 6:46 PM

Location: /Users/bertitavilchez/Library/Printers/EPSON XP-430 Series.app

FlashCard:

Get Info String: Adobe Flash Player   11.2 r202 Copyright 1996-2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated and its licensors. All rights reserved.

HTML5App:

Version: 1.0.0.0

Last Modified: 3/11/17, 9:28 PM

Signed by: Developer ID Application: Valve Corporation (MXGJJ98X76), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Location: /Users/bertitavilchez/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/Frameworks/HTML5App.app

Lectures:

Samsung SCX-3400 Series (SEC001599E5788B):

Version: 11.4

Last Modified: 1/14/16, 2:48 PM

Location: /Users/bertitavilchez/Library/Printers/Samsung SCX-3400 Series (SEC001599E5788B).app

SLLauncher:

Last Modified: 6/8/16, 11:44 PM

Location: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight/OutOfBrowser/SLLauncher.app

Kind: 32-bit (Unsupported)

UE4EditorServices:

Version: 1.7

Last Modified: 5/15/18, 8:23 PM

Location: /Users/bertitavilchez/Library/Services/UE4EditorServices.app

Jan 1, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Drexus

Yesterday I tried Drexus' suggestion of removing and trashing all Mac Cleanup Pro files and the 'Utility' message has seemed to stop. I also updated my system once again so I'm not sure if that helped out too. Prior to this recent update my system was current. I'm still a little hesitant as I feel things like this never seem to truly go away, they just hide out for a while ;-)

Jan 2, 2020 7:43 PM in response to Drexus

That is the complete list. I reran the check to make sure. I also ran the etracheck report and it was originally saying I had an adware that was detected. It directed me to delete the file and I did. After I reran the etracheck and it no longer detected adware however the pop up is not going away. The fully message of the pop up is, "'Utility' will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash. This file was downloaded on an unknown date." It then gives me the option to report malware to Apple etc. It's the same pop up that was shown in the thread at the beginning.

"utility" will damage your computer and you should remove it to the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.