Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imap user name or password is incorect

When I tried to set up my email account on my new Iphone 11 I get the response "the user name or password for imap.mail.att.net is incorrect". I entered the correct user name and password for my att.net email account. Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:16 AM

1 reply

Dec 29, 2019 12:54 PM in response to jore1944

Hi jore1944,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having an issue setting up your email account on your iPhone. I am happy to help out.

Are you setting up your email account using the 'Other' option, as discussed here: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. If so, use the Mail Settings Lookup tool, to confirm you are entering the correct settings manually for your account: Mail Settings Lookup. If everything checks out there, I would recommend restarting your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, and ensuring your iOS is fully updated: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If the same issue remains, try adding the email account while your iPhone is connected to a different network to test. Also, make sure you are able to sign in with the same credentials on the email clients website without issue.

If you are still unable to get your email account set up on your iPhone, please reply back with responses to the below questions:

-Do you have this same account set up on another device without issue?

-Are you able to set up other types of email accounts on your device?

-Do you happen to use this same email address as your signed in Apple ID on your iPhone 11?

Best regards.

imap user name or password is incorect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.