Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 MacBook Pro 15” Flexgate

My MacBook has recently started exhibiting issues referred to as Flexgate (screen works fine below 45 degrees otherwise multi coloured lines or black).

This is clearly a design defect as the laptop has spent most of its life on a desk and has never been damaged.

Has anyone had any luck getting Apple to take responsibility and replace this free (as per the 13” replacement)?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:28 AM

This is a problem worldwide and Apple should not escape from its responsibility

it’s the worst customer experience so far in my life while it’s quality vs their marketing for so called “pro” product for high end user, disgusting

Similar questions

21 replies

Jan 25, 2020 3:39 AM in response to Zach0918

Before repair I thought to buy a new model, using trade-in.

So, I asked about trade-in price of my MacBook Pro 15' Late 2016 16Gb/256GB.

1. 70500 RUB (1140 USD) is trade-in price for my model;
  2. Subtracting repair cost of 49990 RUB (808 USD), according to actual price list;
  3. I get 332 USD for my MacBook Pro, that 2.5 years ago I bought for 2500+ USD!!!!

It's crazy!

I want to buy a new model, but I can't, because trade-in price of 332 USD is obnoxiously for notebook, that I've bought for 2500+ USD and used it on a desk in "home" conditions…

So, after 2.5 years of careful usage, price of my MacBook Pro has been dropped × 7.7 times…

Jan 2, 2020 11:02 AM in response to samclaxton

Had my appointment and it’s a £660 new display for me (this would be refunded if they ever admit it is an issue). Very disappointed in Apple.

The individual helping me was very helpful and confirmed it was the same issue as Apple have acknowledged on the 13 inch but sadly they haven’t done this on the 15 inch so we are screwed. He suggested emailing Apple feedback on the issue as that may draw more attention to it - so I suggest everyone does that as well...

Jan 18, 2020 1:35 PM in response to danielfromrhyl

Update: I have to give Apple credit. After speaking to customer service a number of time I was able to get my display replaced as a one time exception. They also replaced the top case and battery because of sticky keys. Most of the customer service reps were unhelpful at best but there are still good ones out there. Just for context I am a long time customer with many Apple products purchased and linked to my Apple ID over the years, not sure if that played a factor at all. I wish the rest of you guys luck!

Jan 18, 2020 2:06 PM in response to samclaxton

I tried phone (dead end), Twitter (useless), chat was the winner for me. Make sure to talk to a supervisor. I clearly communicated my frustration and disappointment but was never rude. The supervisor was a really amazing rep who genuinely seemed like he cared about customers. This was not my impression from the phone rep. The supervisor needed to talk to his manager and came back with the good news. The chat lasted almost an hour but not because of any wrong doing on his part. If not for him I would not be a future customer. Hopefully Apple supports its reps who use logic and ethics to support their customers, not ones that seem only willing to read pages off the service site.

Jan 25, 2020 3:13 AM in response to Zach0918

Hi Zach,

many thanks for your advice. I rang them up and sadly didn’t really get anywhere. They have suggested I write to their europe head office and provide as much detail and evidence as possible. I’ll do this over the weekend and let you know if I get anywhere.

big ask I know but would you mind sharing your repair ID so I can point to evidence of someone having it replaced for free?

best,

sam

2016 MacBook Pro 15” Flexgate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.