Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lip sync on apple tv 4

Just bought the Apple tv 4,my first Apple product, really love the quality but having trouble with the AV not matching, set up as instructions by professional calibrators on the utube site i.e. set apple tv output at 50hz 4k SDR which makes my LG OLED tv do the conversion to HDR, this has sorted the picture out,not sure about Dolby Vision so left output at 4K SDR , the calibrators then tell you to turn on the match content,dynamic range,frame rate, this is where I am encountering the lip sync issues,leave these settings off and everything is fine this goes against what the pros are saying but saying this I have found turning them on and adjusting the lip sync on my Samsung N950 sound bar to sync 250 solves all problems,a faff I know but the only work around I know.

This all changes when I go back to the Virgin V6 box as the lip sync is out so back to sync 0 on the bar, of course this is all repeated when I go back to Apple tv, one last thing Apple tv way better than Roku 4K box I was forever losing sound, picture with that something that prompted me to change it for a Apple product.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 3:14 PM

hornetdave Said:

"lip sync on apple tv 4: Just bought the Apple tv 4,my first Apple product, really love the quality but having trouble with the AV not matching[...] I am encountering the lip sync issues,leave these settings off and everything is fine [...] I have found turning them on and adjusting the lip sync on my Samsung N950 sound bar to sync 250 solves all problems[...]"

-------

Two Thoughts for Workarounds:

With all this Dolby Digital settings, all these devices - soundbar, cable, Apple TV, etc. - need to be compatible with it.

A. Use a Projector with Lip Sync Options:

So, one workaround, of course, would be to use a projector that has the option for lip sync settings. Mine does, and fixes it when need be.

But, if using such a projector is not an option....

B. Use this Apple Support Link:

Then try this Link: Set up Wireless Audio Sync with Apple TV - Apple Support. Putting the word "wireless" aside.... Scroll Down to: "If your audio won't sync, isn't synced anymore, or if you use Match Content". See if something there helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 3:14 PM in response to hornetdave

hornetdave Said:

"lip sync on apple tv 4: Just bought the Apple tv 4,my first Apple product, really love the quality but having trouble with the AV not matching[...] I am encountering the lip sync issues,leave these settings off and everything is fine [...] I have found turning them on and adjusting the lip sync on my Samsung N950 sound bar to sync 250 solves all problems[...]"

-------

Two Thoughts for Workarounds:

With all this Dolby Digital settings, all these devices - soundbar, cable, Apple TV, etc. - need to be compatible with it.

A. Use a Projector with Lip Sync Options:

So, one workaround, of course, would be to use a projector that has the option for lip sync settings. Mine does, and fixes it when need be.

But, if using such a projector is not an option....

B. Use this Apple Support Link:

Then try this Link: Set up Wireless Audio Sync with Apple TV - Apple Support. Putting the word "wireless" aside.... Scroll Down to: "If your audio won't sync, isn't synced anymore, or if you use Match Content". See if something there helps.

Jan 1, 2020 4:49 AM in response to hornetdave

Is the connection to the soundbar wired or wireless? Is the soundbar connecting to the TV or to the Apple TV?

Wired (HDMI or optical) should not cause sync issues (and better audio). Wireless can cause sync issues, and if the wireless connection is to the Apple TV, then there is a procedure to help restore the sync on the Apple TV instead of the soundbar. Set up Wireless Audio Sync with Apple TV - Apple Support

Jan 2, 2020 12:21 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the suggestions, not such a problem with HDR I just switch off the dynamic range,frame rate setting this cures the lip sync issues and doesn't seem to have much impact on picture quality but watched the first episode of the brilliant Witcher from Netflix in Dolby Vision and my tv had real problems without dynamic range, frame rate switched on, the Apple TV is such a brilliant buy I guess I will have to live with the lip sync issues, funnily enough my 4k Sony BD player has no problems whatsoever with sound or vision when using Netflix,Prime Video apps.Thanks guys

lip sync on apple tv 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.