Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bigpond email on Mac Mail

I have had continued issues with being able to use bigpond email on the Mac mail - Th biggest issue is that I can receive but not send emails. When I try to delete the bigpond account and re-establish it - it says cannot verify password (even though i am 100% i am using the correct password). None of the troubleshooting has worked. I am at the point where I migrating out of bigpond for my emails (and using protonmail as my primary email. I have made bigpond inactive in my internet account settings on my Mac and MacBook but whenever I click on a email hyperlink (anywhere on the internet) it brings up a Bigpond compose new email screen. How do I stop this being the default?

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 8:22 AM

Let's see if we can fix it...

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Glitch210

Let's see if we can fix it...

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Jan 2, 2020 5:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok its handy to know that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old password. I deleted all bigpond entries in Keychain and created a new password via Bigpond webmail. When I try to add the bigpond account to Mac Mail using the newly created password- I get a message saying "unable to verify account name or password". So this remains an annoying unresolved issue.

But the main issue is that I am over Bigpond and have migrated to Protonmail and now I do not want the "compose Bigpond email" to be the default popup on my Mac whenever I click on a email link on the internet. In fact I would like for Mac Mail not to be the default client at all -but I'm not sure that is possible.

Bigpond email on Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.