Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My completely impractical solution to my major problems with Reminders (which appears to have worked, at least for now)

I rely heavily on Reminders, and have for the past several years. For the past many months, I've been having all sorts of problems. The "done"/"ignored" status of reminder notifications was not properly syncing between computers was the first thing I noticed. Then, about the time iOS 13 came out, things took a nasty turn for the worse. It took hours for reminders to sync to and from my phone, and Reminders just became generally unreliable and almost useless. Reminders on iCloud.com was crashing for a while, but that eventually got resolved by Apple.

Note that I never upgraded my reminders. I held off on upgrading to Catalina, and refrained from upgrading my reminders while they were in such a messed up state.

I looked a little closer at my reminders and found that I had more than 10,000 completed reminders on my personal iCloud account alone. These completed reminders were 90% daily/weekly repeating reminders (to take meds, take out the trash, etc. As I said, I rely heavily on reminders.)

And here comes the completely impractical solution: Over the course of about a month, I deleted more than 9000 completed reminders. I did this from my desktop by searching for specific reminders, selecting the completed instances and hitting the delete key. At first Reminders was regularly "not responding" when I was deleting hundreds of items at a time, and sometimes I'd have to login to iCloud.com to delete reminders, but the crashing while deleting reminders eventually resolved.

I still have about 2000 completed Reminders in my Reminders app, but the performance of Reminders appears to have returned to normal. Reminders appear to sync between my phone and desktop and the cloud and I am cautiously optimistic that I can finally trust them again.

I've now put all my repeating reminders into their own list, and plan to to regular maintenance by deleting completed tasks.

Should I have had to do this? Absolutely not. Will this work for you? I have no idea. Has Apple massively screwed something up with reminders? Yes.

Of course, YMMV, but this is something you might want to look at if you are too impatient to wait for Apple to fix it.

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 7:03 AM

After trying to turn Reminders off / on on my iPad and not seeing any improvement over the weekend, I called Apple support late Sunday afternoon. Chatted with 3 different people, each more senior than the last. Basically, I turned off Reminders on all of my devices at the same time, logged out of iCloud, then logged back in and turned Reminders back on.

• Mac Mini looks fully restored
  • MBP: About 75% restored
  • iPhone: A bit less than MBP
  • iPad: This morning it is a bit less than my iPhone. Yesterday virtually none of my Reminders had come back.

Since my iPad was not cooperating, I called Apple Support back, and was immediately transferred to a senior tech. We focused on my iPad, ran diagnostics, and has now been escalated to the Apple engineering team. I have a follow-up call with the senior tech on Thursday.

More to follow...

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2020 7:03 AM in response to matpelle

After trying to turn Reminders off / on on my iPad and not seeing any improvement over the weekend, I called Apple support late Sunday afternoon. Chatted with 3 different people, each more senior than the last. Basically, I turned off Reminders on all of my devices at the same time, logged out of iCloud, then logged back in and turned Reminders back on.

• Mac Mini looks fully restored
  • MBP: About 75% restored
  • iPhone: A bit less than MBP
  • iPad: This morning it is a bit less than my iPhone. Yesterday virtually none of my Reminders had come back.

Since my iPad was not cooperating, I called Apple Support back, and was immediately transferred to a senior tech. We focused on my iPad, ran diagnostics, and has now been escalated to the Apple engineering team. I have a follow-up call with the senior tech on Thursday.

More to follow...

Jan 28, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Dawn Messerly

This sure seemed like a practical solution. I was at over 8000 completed reminders, so I have been deleting like crazy. I'm under 2000...but I'm not seeing any improvement. What is bothering me is that when I log into iCloud last week I got errors! I sent them to Apple, but this seems to be a symptom of the much larger issue -- Reminders is just screwed up!

The only other thing I can think of is to literally delete all of my reminders, but I am hoping (maybe a false hope!) that Apple will address the issue and fix it.

Jan 28, 2020 10:38 AM in response to cherylsIphone

I'm curious, for anyone else who is experiencing Reminders problems ... do you have iCloud accounts that pre-date Reminders.app? Or do you have Reminders that were automatically imported into Reminders.app (when it was new) from iCal (back when it had To Do lists)?

I got escalated to a senior person right away. I was told that others are reporting similar issues. Apple is sending me some diagnostic tools and has scheduled a follow up call with me this evening. They think the problem is specific to certain AppleIDs/iCloud accounts. I got the impression that the results of the diagnostics will go straight to engineering.

Jan 29, 2020 1:28 PM in response to Dawn Messerly

I've been using Apple cloud services since the beginning of MobileMe.

I have tied so many things to fix this issue. Today they released iOS 13.3.1 and the issue is still there. I create lists or reminders on either Mac or iPhone and most of the time they don't sync. I have created lists and reminders just today on my iPhone and hours later they showed up on Mac but when I log into iCloud.com the list and reminder is not there. I had random lists appear called "new list" containing reminders marked as completed months ago. All this after deleting all reminders on all devices, signing out of iCloud on all devices, restarting, reseting settings, logging back in to iCloud on all devices. I am feeling like this is an issue that is just too big to care about given that iOS 14 announcement is just around the corner.

Feb 11, 2020 10:56 AM in response to cherylsIphone

My situation changed too. It was such a mess but now reminders syncs well between my Mac and iCloud. My iPhone is not though. Creating a reminders list on my iPhone then adding a reminder does not sync to iCloud and so on to the Mac and vice-versa. I really don't know what changed. Let's hope tomorrow I wake up and reminders on the phone "just works".

My completely impractical solution to my major problems with Reminders (which appears to have worked, at least for now)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.