Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select which number to message when contact has an iPhone and an android?

My husband has an iPhone for work and an android personal phone. I have both of his phone numbers under one contact. Before I updated my phone, I had two separate messages for his two phone numbers. Now they are merged. This is fine, but I want to be able to select which number I am messaging. It seems to always default to iMessaging his iPhone, even when the last message in the conversation is a text from his android. Even when I try selecting his android number in his contact card, it will still switch back to iMessage. Does anyone know a work-around for this, other than putting in separate contact cards for his two phone numbers? I like having them merged, I just want to be able to select the right number?!

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:29 AM

If that number (Android) ever had iMessage enabled, you need to de-register. --> Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online - Apple Podpora

3 replies

How to select which number to message when contact has an iPhone and an android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.